Nerd/Boffin Technical corner.

Right!....

Anybody got any good ideas on how to turn an AUTOMATIC SYSTEM RECOVERY backup of a Win XP laptop currently held on a 500Gb USB disk drive into a working Virtual Computer using Sun VirtualBox on the replacement laptop.

:S :O :(

I've been trying for around two days so far, without getting a working solution...

Teary Geek

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Quote: Badge @ February 2 2009, 8:49 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Sorry, I don't know.

>_<

Quote: Badge @ February 2 2009, 8:49 PM GMT

Cool Cool

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2009, 8:47 PM GMT

Right!....

Anybody got any good ideas on how to turn an AUTOMATIC SYSTEM RECOVERY backup of a Win XP laptop currently held on a 500Gb USB disk drive into a working Virtual Computer using Sun VirtualBox on the replacement laptop.

:S :O :(

I've been trying for around two days so far, without getting a working solution...

Teary Geek

Why not use Ghost instead? if your trying to Mirror the two machines, I'm not sure System recovery stores enough of the files needed to do it. I may be wrong.

I try shouting, remarkably effective that or crying.

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2009, 9:20 PM GMT

I try shouting, remarkably effective that or crying.

THe corner stone of all negotiation

Chuck it out the window!

Edited by Aaron - capitalisation.

Quote: Gavin @ February 2 2009, 9:17 PM GMT

Why not use Ghost instead? if your trying to Mirror the two machines, I'm not sure System recovery stores enough of the files needed to do it. I may be wrong.

Too late, I no longer have the original damaged computer.

ASR Backup does store all the relevant stuff off C:, I've used it many times before on REAL computers. There's a separate .BKF file for the original drive D: which will not be a serious problem to load in once the main C; drive is working.

The main difficulty is that Virtual Computers in VirtualBox or VMware or the Microsoft thingy, do not handle USB connections well untill a full O/S has been loaded & since one is trying to load an O/S :-(

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2009, 9:45 PM GMT

Too late, I no longer have the original damaged computer.

ASR Backup does store all the relevant stuff off C:, I've used it many times before on REAL computers. There's a separate .BKF file for the original drive D: which will not be a serious problem to load in once the main C; drive is working.

The main difficulty is that Virtual Computers in VirtualBox or VMware or the Microsoft thingy, do not handle USB connections well untill a full O/S has been loaded & since one is trying to load an O/S :-(

Sorry mate I didnt understand what you were trying to do....Mmmmmthat's a right shitter.

What are you trying to do restore it or get files from it?

Quote: Griff @ February 2 2009, 9:49 PM GMT

I used to have a similar problem with Linux billwill, I had to plug in PS2 keyboard and mouse to install the OS because the USB drivers didn't seem to be loaded until the install process was nearly completed. Can you temporarily switch back to PS2 kit, just to get the install done?

Nice thought, but methinx not relevant (and no PS/2 sockets on the modern Sony laptop).

I'm currently trying attempt number 5 (?) which goes something like this to give some idea off the difficulty.

copy the backup files from the USB disk to the main disk C: of the host (outer) system on the new laptop to a folder called say BK
(b) make a virtual computer & load it with a fresh clean copy of Windows XP pro
(c) Make TWO new virtual Disks, one called Xfer for transferring, the other the final target main disk of the finished VC.
(d) declare the folder BK to be a VirtualBox shared folder.
(e) attach the transfer virtual disk to the VC made in (b), so it now has 2 disk.
(e) boot the virtual minimal XP pro and install 'Guest additions' so that it can 'see' shared flders.
(f) use the VC to copy the BKF files from the 'shared folders' to the transfer Virtual Disk.
(g) shutdown that virtual Computer.
Cool create a new Virtual computer which will be the target final VC.
(i) attach the two disks made in (c) to this new machine omitting the XP pro disk made in (b), so it is now like an empty Computer.
(j) fortunately the ASR recovery seems to recognise a floppy drive even if connected by USB, so put the ASR floppy inthe floppy drive.
(k) put an MS Win XP pro install CD in the CD drive.
(l) boot the second VC then at the very early stage press F2 to start ASR recovery.
(j) when it reaches the bit about reading the BKF file, I'm hoping that I will be able to point it at the relevant file on the transfer virtual disk.

---- here's hoping ---

the snag is that each of these copying and reloading operations take up to two hours at a time, so the whole excercise can take up to 8 to 10 hours and you don't know if it worked until the final reboot of the target VC.

Heigh ho, I'm glad I got that lot off my chest, even if I'v bored y'all to tears..

Who said Virtual Computers make things easier...... cobblers!!!

Pirate Pirate

Sigh...Seven or so hours spent on this attempt.

Stopped at step J, the recovery program cannot 'see' the extra virtual disk with the data on.

===============
Back to the drawing board....

:( :(

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2009, 10:10 PM GMT

Who said Virtual Computers make things easier......

No one.

Quote: Aaron @ February 3 2009, 1:03 AM GMT

No one.

:D :D

Not so, it's the IN THING in IT circles and features lavishly in the current crop of computer magazines.

Laughing out loud Teary