Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 10

A good free format convertor, that I use, has the has the inconvenient name of just: "SUPER"

see if you can find it.

How can I download or rip a BBC 'Listen Again' audio? :S

Quote: Loopey @ August 29 2010, 7:09 PM BST

How can I download or rip a BBC 'Listen Again' audio? :S

Are you using a Mac or a Windows machine? Which program/date/time?

Quote: DaButt @ August 29 2010, 7:21 PM BST

Are you using a Mac or a Windows machine? Which program/date/time?

Windows
BBC iPlayer All Bar Luke and the Houseparty BBC7 11.30pm Sunday 22nd August

I'll see if I can capture it to an MP3.

Quote: DaButt @ August 29 2010, 7:55 PM BST

I'll see if I can capture it to an MP3.

Thank you. Hug

Is it true that if I opened a notepad file, entered in a series of 1s and 0s, saved it as a .exe that I may well invent the greatest program known to man? A programming friend of mine says that there's a 1 in 64 million chance of it happening.

I have that programme, Loopey. I could upload a copy for you somewhere if you still need it.

Quote: Ben @ August 29 2010, 8:04 PM BST

Is it true that if I opened a notepad file, entered in a series of 1s and 0s, saved it as a .exe that I may well invent the greatest program known to man? A programming friend of mine says that there's a 1 in 64 million chance of it happening.

More like 1 in 64 trillion trillion

Been there done that written the program.

See it here: http://www.datahighways.net/support/topic.asp?topic_id=17&forum_id=30

Snag is it runs on Microsoft Qbasic which came with DOS; This was DOS 6.2.

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2010, 8:19 PM BST

I have that programme, Loopey. I could upload a copy for you somewhere if you still need it.

Yes please Aaron. Assuming Dabutt can't sort it. I would still like to know how to do it if anyone can explain in VERY SIMPLE terms. I had a look at some audio rip stream free downloads but it's too confusing for a non tech person like me.

Quote: billwill @ August 29 2010, 8:22 PM BST

More like 1 in 64 trillion trillion

Thanks, Bill. I'll give him a punch up the bracket the next time I see him.

Quote: Loopey @ August 29 2010, 8:27 PM BST

Yes please Aaron. Assuming Dabutt can't sort it. I would still like to know how to do it if anyone can explain in VERY SIMPLE terms. I had a look at some audio rip stream free downloads but it's too confusing for a non tech person like me.

I'll upload it in a minute. The method I used can't be described simply, I'm afraid.

See if this works:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lh6zqg

The recording begins and ends in the middle of a sentence, but that appears to be how the BBC released it. Weird. Anyway, I hope I grabbed the right show.

Quote: Loopey @ August 29 2010, 8:27 PM BST

I can vouch for Freecorder http://www.applian.com/sound-recorder/

You basically install it, it puts a little toolbar in your browser with simple buttons that say Record Audio and Record Video. It will record any streamed video or audio, or indeed anything that comes out of your pc speakers. Video wise, it won't let you capture protected video like iPlayer but you can save as many YouTube vids to your hd as you like.

It's a very nifty bit of kit, and it's free. :)

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2010, 8:19 PM BST

Sorry, I had to sign off in a hurry last night and missed the other replies. I don't think I need it now Aaron but thanks anyway.

Quote: DaButt @ August 29 2010, 9:12 PM BST

I'll upload it in a minute. The method I used can't be described simply, I'm afraid.

See if this works:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lh6zqg

The recording begins and ends in the middle of a sentence, but that appears to be how the BBC released it. Weird. Anyway, I hope I grabbed the right show.

Many thanks, it worked.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 29 2010, 9:23 PM BST

I can vouch for Freecorder http://www.applian.com/sound-recorder/

You basically install it, it puts a little toolbar in your browser with simple buttons that say Record Audio and Record Video. It will record any streamed video or audio, or indeed anything that comes out of your pc speakers. Video wise, it won't let you capture protected video like iPlayer but you can save as many YouTube vids to your hd as you like.

It's a very nifty bit of kit, and it's free. :)

Thank you. How kind you all are. Very much appreciated. xxxx
:) Hug

Suggestions for camcorders please? Cheap and cheerful, enough to film a gig digitally (HD preferably) and must have decent sound capturing. I'm a tight arse, so the cheaper the better. My fella wants one of those HD Flip things, but I fear that the sound quality just won't be up to scratch for filming standup in a pub environment. Also it needs to be small enough to cart around.

Anyone use anything like this?