Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 7

Cheers guys. Will give it a shot.

My wife says this site is just a bunch of silly blokes dicking around ...

Blokes - on here, you say - dicking around?! What larks!

Quote: Will Cam @ June 16 2010, 5:44 PM BST

Thanks Aaron.

Another of life's problems solved by the online community. My wife says this site is just a bunch of silly blokes dicking around and that I shouldn't be wasting my time. Tut, Women!

Quote: don rushmore @ June 16 2010, 11:17 PM BST

Blokes - on here, you say - dicking around?! What larks!

****Please report all blokes dicking around to the Moderators****

I'm having some USB troubles and would be most grateful for any help.

I plug my MP3 player or flash drive into my PC and it happily shows up in My Computer. However, when I double click on their icons, nothing happens. I can drag and drop items onto them and they download, but I can't view what's inside the device via My Computer. I've tried both devices on another computer and they work fine. I've not had this problem until recently. Any ideas why they won't open now?

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 16 2010, 4:22 PM BST

Yeah that just seems to open a new window, as does "_new"

"Oyhou"?

Not in Firefox.

Quote: Ben @ July 24 2010, 4:51 PM BST

I'm having some USB troubles and would be most grateful for any help.

I plug my MP3 player or flash drive into my PC and it happily shows up in My Computer. However, when I double click on their icons, nothing happens. I can drag and drop items onto them and they download, but I can't view what's inside the device via My Computer. I've tried both devices on another computer and they work fine. I've not had this problem until recently. Any ideas why they won't open now?

Try a right-click & select Open.

Quote: billwill @ July 24 2010, 7:21 PM BST

Try a right-click & select Open.

Tried that and Explore too, but nothing!

Quote: Ben @ July 24 2010, 8:12 PM BST

No idea then. Have you tried switching it off and on again? :D :D :D

Or reinstalling any drivers that came with it.

Formatting the drive may help?

Quote: Ben @ July 24 2010, 8:12 PM BST

If you right-click and select Properties, does the little Properties window open? If so, there's the Tools tab that has an Error Check button. Or maybe you need to reformat it.

As I said it's happening on a memory stick and an mp3 player rather than just one piece of equipment. I think it's something far deeper than I could comprehend. Thanks though. I'd have felt rather hated (and God I deserve to be) if no one had offered help.

Your USB port could be malfunctioning. Have you tried putting a mouse or some other USB device in to test it?

Quote: billwill @ July 24 2010, 9:17 PM BST

No idea then. Have you tried switching it off and on again? :D :D :D

Seriously, try it but unplug the power lead from the back of the pc as well. Leave for about half an hour, plug back in and reboot.

The wireless adapter and mouse is working most fine through the usb port. It's a queer deal, Leevil.

How many USB ports does your PC have? Maybe just plug a USB hub into one of the working ports to run your memory stick/mp3 player/whatever else?

Quote: Ben @ July 27 2010, 12:14 PM BST

The wireless adapter and mouse is working most fine through the usb port. It's a queer deal, Leevil.

Indeed it is.