Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 4

It's okay, I ran windows update and checked it this morning and it was still messed up. But now they don't work at all, atleast before they detected things.

Bad luck Ells. Have you got anyone 'techy' at work you can ask?

Yer, but he's a typical IT man who takes an hour to explain a 5 minute thing. PAINFUL!

:D Hahahaha

Flutter your eyelids at him and he should take a look then. ;)

<flutters, flutters, flutters>

Still nothing...

Dan

:D Sorry Dan, I don't even understand your question, let alone have any idea of an answer.

:D

Quote: EllieJP @ February 11 2009, 9:26 AM GMT

Yer, but he's a typical IT man who takes an hour to explain a 5 minute thing. PAINFUL!

Thrust your tits forward and tell him to just do it, not explain how/why!

Help appreciated.

Have a faulty f key. Not function, but the letter f. Any ideas what could be causing it? It's a new keyboard, and have removed the key and cleaned the area. Can't think of much else.

Cheers.

Have the f key on the clipboard by the way. ;)

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2010, 1:02 AM GMT

Have a faulty f key. Not function, but the letter f. Any ideas what could be causing it? It's a new keyboard, and have removed the key and cleaned the area. Can't think of much else.

New keyboard? Haven't you had this problem for a while now?

Cheers Morrace, will try that for now. But would be great if I could get the f-ing key working again! It comes and goes, that's the annoying thing, false hope.

Quote: Aaron @ January 7 2010, 1:17 AM GMT

New keyboard? Haven't you had this problem for a while now?

Um, it started before Christmas sometime, yeah. But then it started working again and I forgot about it. Now it's stopped working again and it's annoying, obviously.

I think it maybe the lead. It's only a cheap replacement one, but thought it would've lasted longer than this. :(

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2010, 1:19 AM GMT

Cheers Morrace, will try that for now. But would be great if I could get the f-ing key working again! It comes and goes, that's the annoying thing, false hope.

I deleted it because it was re. 'function' and (as far as I know) of no use to you!

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2010, 1:19 AM GMT

Um, it started before Christmas sometime, yeah. But then it started working again and I forgot about it. Now it's stopped working again and it's annoying, obviously.

I think it maybe the lead. It's only a cheap replacement one, but thought it would've lasted longer than this. :(

Um, you probably have Christmas Cake crumbs or similar in the keyboard right inmside in the contact area. Or you spilled something & it has corroded the key contacts.

For the first hold it on end (If it is a laptop make sure it is POWERED OFF to PROTECT THE HARD DISK) and shake very vigourously. Try it every way that has the plane of the keyboard vertical. A separate plug in keyboard can probably be whacked with your hand on an edge too in attempt to dislodge the obstruction.

For the Second problem there is no real cure other than a new keyboard.

Quote: EllieJP @ February 11 2009, 9:26 AM GMT

I had a similar thing where my computer suddenly started teling me everything I conected was malfunctioning.

I solved it by using a different USB cable. I tend to just have one plugged in the front and use it for everything - camera, ebook reader, PSP etc.

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2010, 1:02 AM GMT

Help appreciated.

Cheers.

Have the f key on the clipboard by the way. ;)

Leevil, the French novelist Georges Perec was noted for his "constrained writing". In the '60s he wrote a 300-page novel "La disparition" (1969) - it is a lipogram, written without ever using the letter "e" - which is even more impressive considering it was written in French (le, les etc).

So.... stop whining about your missing letter. Just write without needing it. Otherwise, you are ucked!

:)