Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 15

*high-five* (but with the other hand)

Laughing out loud

Right, just spent all night updating my Dad's laptop. Got things working, that weren't previously. One problem left. The bleedin' video drivers.

Anyone know how to identify the ones I need? I've tried searching for the laptop model, read forums, tried thetechguys.com, prayed and killed a man but nothing has worked. The screen is a bit blurry, plus scrolling the page in internet browsers is jerky and annoying.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

:)

Try this program AIDA32 it might identify your hardware.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AIDA-Download-6969.html

Also when you switch on, the motherboard identification appears very briefly as a string of numbers at the bottom of the screen. You may need to keep doing CTRL-ALT-DEL during startup, to keep trying reboots & catch just a few digits each time.

You're a beautiful man, bill. Thank you.

How do I get Audio files onto YouTube?

I'll get on that Showcase forum if it's the last thing I do.
*Shakes fist

Add it to a video track.

If it was that easy we'd all be doing it.
Sheesh, honestly Rolling eyes

Laughing out loud

http://vodpod.com/watch/1459356-windows-movie-maker-how-to-add-audiomusic-to-a-picture-video ;)

Does anyone use Linux? I have a netbook which runs it, but I know nothing about how to update it, and every time I look for advice online, it doesn't help. For example, to update Fifox, I apparently need to:

" use APT package handling utility i.e. apt-get command. You can also use a GUI package tool called Update Manager:
Just type the following two commands at terminal: $ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install firefox"

What flavour of Linux are you using? (What's it called?)

Quote: Nogget @ October 23 2010, 4:07 AM BST

Does anyone use Linux? I have a netbook which runs it, but I know nothing about how to update it, and every time I look for advice online, it doesn't help. For example, to update Fifox, I apparently need to:

" use APT package handling utility i.e. apt-get command. You can also use a GUI package tool called Update Manager:
Just type the following two commands at terminal: $ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install firefox"

Is it an eeePC netbook?

Quote: billwill @ October 23 2010, 1:26 PM BST

Is it an eeePC netbook?

Yes, it is.

Quote: Nogget @ October 23 2010, 7:11 PM BST

Yes, it is.

Switch On
Get on-line to the Internet
Click on the Settings TAB
Double Click Add/Remove Software
You will now see similar TABS but with an extra one called Updates
Click it
Click the Check For Updates Button
Wait a while
Click any UPDATE buttons that appear on the right hand side.
If you don't see any there click each of the category Tab headings (Within the Add/Remove Software) and click any UPDATE buttons and any or INSTALL buttons that you fancy.

While you are about it click [Preferences] in the bottom left corner & st your future requirements

For more information about the updating. On the main desktop click Help in the top right corner then click the SETTINGS tab and then scroll down.

========================

To open a Terminal console for typing those commands you mentioned, press CTRL+ALT+t

You get a black command terminal, akin to the COMMAND window of Windows.

SUDO means Super-User DO, where the SUPER USER is the main administrator account

The nice easy way that used to exist for installing extra programs from ASUS seems to have dissapeared from the ASUS website. They have gone ... Microsofted...

Thanks Bill, but I still can't update Firefox. I download the latest version, which gets saved to My Documents. I take a look there hoping to find an executable file, but see .tar.bz2 files, which I could unzip or do other things to.

I don't see any way of updating Firefox from the add/remove software tab.