Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 19

Thanks Nat.

Would it be safe to assume that if a laptop screen is flickering scrolling horizontal lines that it means it is dead? I can still make out the Windows Desktop, colours etc but it's beneath the crazy line mess.

:(

Yes, it's either dead or some part of it is (graphics card most likely).

F**k, it's my Dad's new laptop. I just had a go and broke it. Only been back here a few hours. Shit, shit, shit!

(I'm typing on a different laptop btw)

What did you do to it?

It booted up okay for a few seconds and then I wiped some dust off the screen. I don't think I applied that much pressure. But after that it went scrambled. The screen does feel quite flimsy.

Doesn't sound like anything you would have done, Leev. Sounds dodgy to me. You can generally be quite rough with laptop screens and they should be fine. It might be the wires through the screen hinges- they sometimes get damaged in laptops, but it's quite hard to do without bending it back over or dropping it prety hard.

Quote: Leevil @ November 7 2010, 3:47 PM GMT

The past few times I've rebooted my Mac Mini (latest Snow Leopard) it has hung on the desktop for about 5-10 mins. I can move the mouse cursor but can't click on anything. After the 5-10 mins it begins to work again. There's nothing listed in the Log-in Items on the Accounts screen.

I ran the Console.app and all the last errors where something to do with Safari that I didn't understand.

07/11/2010 15:45:16Console 205 Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.Console, targetApp=com.apple.Safari

Is an example of the last log line.

I'm going to reinstall Safari, even though I never use it. And see if that helps.

But any thoughts in the mean time will be much appreciated. Thanks.

What's your modem doing while your desktop's hanging? Sounds like a dodgy app. Make sure you're memory's seated correctly too - that causes all sorts of problems. Why aren't you using Safari?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 24 2010, 12:47 AM GMT

What's your modem doing while your desktop's hanging? Sounds like a dodgy app. Make sure you're memory's seated correctly too - that causes all sorts of problems. Why aren't you using Safari?

That sorted itself out, Godot. Cheers though. Not sure what it was but it ain't doing it any more. Might have been a dodgy system update? *shrugs*

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 24 2010, 12:45 AM GMT

Doesn't sound like anything you would have done, Leev. Sounds dodgy to me. You can generally be quite rough with laptop screens and they should be fine. It might be the wires through the screen hinges- they sometimes get damaged in laptops, but it's quite hard to do without bending it back over or dropping it prety hard.

Looks like we gonna have to go back to Currys. I dunno what/how my Dad bought it from them. Looking closer it looks refurbished and poorly done at that!

Quote: Leevil @ December 24 2010, 12:38 AM GMT

F**k, it's my Dad's new laptop. I just had a go and broke it. Only been back here a few hours. Shit, shit, shit!

(I'm typing on a different laptop btw)

You may merely have selected a screen resolution that the screen cannot handle.

Try booting in safe mode (F8 during startup) an see if you can reset the screen resolution to say 800x600.

Try plugging in an external monitor if you have one.

The Fn key in conjunction with one of the F keys should rotate between Internal screen-only, External or both.

Quote: billwill @ December 24 2010, 12:54 AM GMT

You may merely have selected a screen resolution that the screen cannot handle.

Try booting in safe mode (F8 during startup) an see if you can reset the screen resolution to say 800x600.

Try plugging in an external monitor if you have one.

The Fn key in conjunction with one of the F keys should rotate between Internal screen-only, External or both.

I'll have a go. :)

Quote: Griff @ December 24 2010, 12:57 AM GMT

Have you installed Vuze, Leevil? (tuts) Google suggests that a Vuze component called CTLoader might be causing this problem. Try Googling for "Vuze CTLoader Incompatible applications" or similar.

http://macosx.com/forums/archive/t-309513.html

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa;jsessionid=7F9A39E3C98052026DBD7F2075AB214E.node0?messageID=11427654�

EDIT - Oh I see you've fixed it now.

*goes back to watching underwhelming Dirk Gently adaptation*

Had Vuze on it, deleted the other day. But this was after it fixed itself. Thanks anyway.

Didn't work, here's a photo of the screen. :(

Looks a bit like when my Mac screen died, they replaced the laptop. :/ Take it back asap.

I need to update my Atheros driver so that Vista can get online wirelessly. Windows points me at the official Atheros site, which wants $30 to do this.

Where is a safe place to download such an update legally?

Quote: Nogget @ December 31 2010, 11:25 AM GMT

I need to update my Atheros driver so that Vista can get online wirelessly. Windows points me at the official Atheros site, which wants $30 to do this.

Where is a safe place to download such an update legally?

Buy a cheap USB Wireless dongle, they cost less than $30