I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,661

Quote: Chappers @ 11th September 2014, 10:16 PM BST

To please the Irish we could always use this for our Union Flag.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16498755@N07/7320973550/

Isn't green synonymous with Eire though?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 10:13 PM BST

I was born (long) after 1960 and have neither a mobile phone or tattoos.

Is there anyone else in the country who could now say the same?

No tattoo but do have a £30 pay as you go for emergencies which costs me £15 a year - cannot understand why anyone would want that monthly expense just to look like a knob end walking around with one slapped on the side of their head.

RIP Donald Sinden :( - the man with the mellifluous voice. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 10:13 PM BST

I was born (long) after 1960 and have neither a mobile phone or tattoos.

Is there anyone else in the country who could now say the same?

You make it sound as if you're proud of not having a mobile.

Quote: Nogget @ 12th September 2014, 8:52 AM BST

'Smatter with that? Sounds cool to me. Cool

Quote: Nogget @ 12th September 2014, 8:52 AM BST

I don't think it's a higher way of living if that's what you mean. It's just that at quite a young age there is in everyone a sense of "normal life" being mad. Going backwards and forwards in tin cans on wheels. That sort of thing but the thought is brushed aside because everyone is doing it and, well, that is life and it's seen as a requirement. And as soon as you jump on the bandwagon, you quickly forget those qualms about insanity.

Later on, new things turn up. Mobile phones or whatever. And I remember thinking about those that they were going to be another something that everyone "did". I felt "no, this time I'm not going to play the game". I wanted to see how something seemed by not jumping on board. By then I'd stopped driving too. And it confirmed earlier suspicions that everything is crackers. It accentuates it and feels empowering.

Mobiles are the new cigarettes of course. There is no doubt in that whatsoever. The first rose in popularity as the latter fell. Both are distractions from immediate places and conversations. People used to block their mouths but now they mainly block their ears so that says quite a lot about how our lives were changing.

The authorities have tried to fight back with e-mails and forums. They couldn't find a new way of stopping people talking so they did the next best thing by making more of the talk written and consequently silent.

Have you considered moving to Sark or joining the Amish?

Quote: Marc P @ 12th September 2014, 10:19 AM BST

Have you considered moving to Sark or joining the Amish?

Not until the time you mentioned it, no, but Sark sounds like a place I could inhabit.

And me :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2014, 7:13 AM BST

Isn't green synonymous with Eire though?

Green is the colour of all Ireland. Both the Northern Ireland and Republic football teams play in green.

The official colour of Ireland is actually blue though isn't it

Er...probably not. Unless you're colour blind. :S

Quote: Chappers @ 12th September 2014, 8:28 PM BST

Green is the colour of all Ireland. Both the Northern Ireland and Republic football teams play in green.

Yer right, but I will always associate Green with the south - just imagine the ructions if the Union Flag had a green background. >_<

Yes but flags have nothing to do with an adopted national colour although they can have that colour in it too like Scotland and Wales and England do.

Green is the traditional colour of all Ireland, it stems from way before the country was separated politically and it's thought the green identity came from what is now NI, politically now a different country.

Fair enough, but all I was trying to point out was what would happen if the Blue of Scotland was replaced by Green.

They'd all turn yellow?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th September 2014, 12:01 PM BST

Fair enough, but all I was trying to point out was what would happen if the Blue of Scotland was replaced by Green.

Ah I see, I've gone black and red it now alwhite. Laughing out loud / :(