The New Statesman Page 3

Alan doesn't seem such a bad bloke in light of the recent expenses scandal!

Dan

Quote: sardines @ July 1 2009, 1:04 PM BST

I've never got the appeal of Rik Mayall in anything, often wonder if it was just a generation thing.

Kevin Turvey was good but The New Statesman has aged terribly. Mind you, so has The Young Ones.

The New Statesman was brilliant. And I can't say I'd ever considered comparing it to Blackadder. Both great series.

Quote: greensville @ July 1 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Just going through the box set now. I've heard it said that this is a bit of a Blackadder rip-off, but I think he's so much more evil.

I don't recall having heard that before. I suppose I can see the similarities, but there are such vast contrasting points that the argument doesn't even move, let alone stand up.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ July 1 2009, 1:11 PM BST

The New Statesman has aged terribly.

You think? Perhaps it's because I'm rather into politics, but I really don't think it has. One of the best comedies of the late 1980s for me.

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 2:09 PM BST

You think? Perhaps it's because I'm rather into politics, but I really don't think it has. One of the best comedies of the late 1980s for me.

Well, I'm in to me politics as well. In fact, I'm marking A Level Politics exam papers right now so I'm going rapidly off it. Seemed good at the time. Might seem better when the Tories get in cos B'stard reminds me of George Osborne a bit.

Haha! Oh dear. Well, I don't envy your current position!

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 3:44 PM BST

So you can see what we're up to. I thought so.

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 3:44 PM BST

Nor do I. I've got 300 more to do and I go on holiday on Friday.

The Comedy Classics episode about The New Statesman is showing again on ITV1 right now.

It's good innit.
It's weird how he sometimes looks like he's (mannerism wise) doing a impression of Tony Blair, when of course it's well before his time.

The Scot did enter Parliament in 1983, so he may very well have been.

Oh reeeeeeally?

I rewatched most of the shows about two years ago. I think they hold up very well. B'stard must be just about the best thing Mayal's ever done and Michael Troughton is perfect as Piers.

I preferred Bottom. I am eager to watch the Rik Mayall comedy series from the nineties. From what I've heard that was his crowning glory. B'Stard was still brillinat though.

I think Mayall is dreamy and wonderful in everything he does.

Was just watching 'Mr Jolly Lives Next Door' the other day. It's still pure awesome. I don't think The New Statesmen is dated at all. Aside from clothes and maybe a few names and references, it's still quite relevant.