- 2014 - 2020
- BBC Radio 4
- 22 (5 series)
- Kevin McNally, Kevin Eldon, Simon Greenall, Robin Sebastian, Susy Kane, Margaret Cabourn-Smith, Andrew Secombe and David Cann
- Ray Galton and Alan Simpson
- Neil Pearson and Ed Morrish
Between 1954 and 1959, BBC Radio recorded 102 episodes of Ray Galton and Alan Simpson's comedy classic, Hancock's Half Hour. The first modern sitcom, it made stars of Tony Hancock, Sid James and Kenneth Williams, and launched Galton & Simpson as one of the most successful comedy-writing partnerships in history.
However, of the shows made, 20 are missing from the BBC archive.
Starting as part of the celebration of Galton & Simpson's diamond anniversary in 2014, BBC Radio 4 commissioned this series (supported by the writers themselves) to recreate the episodes live in front of a studio audience at the BBC Radio Theatre.
Accompanying the first series was The Missing Hancocks: Director's Commentary on Radio 4 Extra. In this version, Andy Hamilton stopped the action as he talked to co-producer Neil Pearson and actor Kevin McNally about the challenges, and joys, of recreating a 1950s sitcom. The conversation took in the casting, production and even the music of the show, as well as what got changed in these new recordings.
- First broadcast
- Friday 31st October 2014 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 5th November 2019 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 5 Episode 2: Wednesday 25th December at 7:30am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 2: Wednesday 25th December at 5:30pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 2: Wednesday 25th December at 10pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 2: Thursday 26th December at 5:30am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 3: Wednesday 1st January at 7:30am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 3: Wednesday 1st January at 5:30pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 3: Wednesday 1st January at 10pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 3: Thursday 2nd January at 5:30am on Radio 4 Extra