- 1956 - 1961
- BBC One
- 63 (7 series)
- Tony Hancock, Sid James, Kenneth Williams, James Bulloch, Johnny Vyvyan, Alec Bregonzi, John Vere, Hugh Lloyd and Mario Fabrizi
- Ray Galton and Alan Simpson
- Duncan Wood
- Duncan Wood
Welcome to 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam, residence of Anthony Aloysius St John Hancock - a down-at-heel comedian whose life never goes to plan.
Tony Hancock plays a fictionalised version of himself in this sitcom: a loser whose plans and aspirations are continually ruined by bad luck, the scheming and devious Sidney Balmoral James (played by Sid James) or, more often than not, by his own pomposity and ambition.
Stream and download
The final series of this show, which saw Hancock alone in an Earl's Court bedsit, was broadcast under the shortened title Hancock.
Following these seven series, in 1963 Hancock moved to ITV to star in series with a similar premise called Hancock, but this new show was not written by Galton & Simpson. The star returned to ITV in 1967 for Hancock's, a series in which his character played the manager of a nightclub. This turned out to be his final British TV series, as he committed suicide the following year.
- Also known as
- Hancock (Series 7)
- Hancock's Forty-Three Minutes
- Camera set-up
- Black and white
- Music by Angela Morley.
- First broadcast
- Friday 6th July 1956 at 8:45pm on BBC One
- Most recent repeats
- Sunday 30th July 2023 at 1:20am on BBC4 - Series 5, Episode 6
- Tuesday 25th July 2023 at 8:00pm on BBC4 - Series 5, Episode 6
- Sunday 23rd July 2023 at 12:35am on BBC4 - Series 3, Episode 11
- BBC Lime Grove - Series 1 and some of Series 3, all broadcast live.
- Riverside Studios - Series 2 and some of Series 3, broadcast live. Series 4 part live and part recorded. Series 5 and 6 pre-recorded.
- BBC Television Theatre - Hancock's Forty-Three Minutes special.
- BBC Television Centre - Series 7, pre-recorded.