- 1954 - 1959
- BBC Light Programme
- 107 (6 series)
- Tony Hancock, Bill Kerr, Sid James, Moira Lister, Kenneth Williams, Andrée Melly, Hattie Jacques and Alan Simpson
- Ray Galton and Alan Simpson
- Dennis Main Wilson, Tom Ronald and Pat Dixon
Anthony Aloysius St John 'Tony' Hancock is one of life's losers. Fortunately for Tony, he rarely seems to notice the fact.
Bumbling headlong into one disastrous caper after another, the not-so-great actor of the age is aided and abetted by his friend and lodger, Australian Bill Kerr; on-off love-interests Moira Lister and Andrée Melly; secretary Griselda Pugh; and friend, confident, con-man and spiv, Sidney Balmoral James.
Whether taking the role of a school master, visiting the ballet, competing in the Monte Carlo rally, entertaining troops, buying a new home, taking up boxing or inheriting a Scottish castle, Tony often finds himself outwitted and conned by Sid - and more often than not, ultimately brought down by his own pomposity, ambition and stupidity.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- Live audience
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 2nd November 1954 on BBC Light Programme at 9:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 29th December 1959 on BBC Light Programme at 8pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 5 Episode 14: Saturday at 10:30am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 5 Episode 14: Saturday at 8:30pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 6 Episode 1: Wednesday at 8am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 6 Episode 1: Wednesday at 12pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 6 Episode 1: Wednesday at 7pm on Radio 4 Extra