Status report Page 6,148

Quote: Chappers @ 7th February 2023, 5:40 PM

A very bright "star" low down in the evening sky around 6pm for a short time. I think it's Mars but willing to be corrected.

Probably Jupiter, which is near Venus "in the Sky" nowadays.

Install the program "Stellarium" to sort out these kind of "What" issues.

Go here, enter your latitude and longitude, and it'll spit out a list of what's visible. https://www.heavens-above.com/PlanetSummary.aspx

Or download the free Skyview Lite app for your phone. It'll overlay the major planets and stars on your camera, so point it in the general direction and it'll tell you what you're seeing.

Thanks Bill.

And Dabutt I did look up one of these sites which seemed to say that most of them are visible.

At the airport for a flight to Denver. It's 74F/23C here in San Antonio, it'll be 2F/-17C in Denver (plus an expected 6 inches of snow) and then we're flying to Florida Thursday, where it'll be 86F/30C. I have a very schizophrenic wardrobe packed in my suitcase. Looking forward to freezing and sweating with my kids, grandkids, and parents.

Having a pint of locally brewed beer in downtown Denver. It annoys me when American breweries use "ESB" to describe a style of beer, when it's actually just a brand name of a particular beer.

But it's tasty.

Just come home from football after a 40 minute walk home. Nothing else on so watching Benny Hill on That's TV. The Halitosis Kid.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th August 2021, 5:10 PM

I remember talking to you about premium bonds a few months back

I've been in 5 draws now and won every month!

I usually win one or two £25 (some months none), but this month I've won 5 x £25 + a £100 win. Best yet, but where's that million!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th February 2023, 4:03 PM

I usually win one or two £25 (some months none), but this month I've won 5 x £25 + a £100 win. Best yet, but where's that million!

Well done!
I was netting about £50 a month for a bit, but struck out this month.
Martin Lewis has a very good explainer about the "interest rate" they boast of (in short, 70% of people don't get it!).
Essentially it's a shoe-box under the bed that has a very remote chance of exploding with money.
Or not.
As interest rates rise, it'll be interesting to see whether they up the ante.
Otherwise, people will start to leave in droves.

Thank you. Presently with the abysmal interest rates the PBs still look as good deal, as you say, and there investment bonds are not bad. I've just taken out a 3 year "Green Bond" with them that is paying 3.25%.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd February 2023, 3:51 PM

Now a cataract op is fairly routine, BUT there is a 1000 to 1 chance it can go wrong, and if it did for me, with my near blind left eye, it would mean...........yes, I would be blind. No exaggeration, that would be me. Life over.

It's constantly on my mind

So, at long last, cataract op tomorrow, and all being well I hope to see you all anon. If not, what with my other eye being no good and a 1000 to 1 chance of it going wrong, that'll be my world over.

No more BCG forum for sure, but it's an ill wind, as I know one person on here who would be glad of never hearing from me again.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th February 2023, 10:38 PM

So, at long last, cataract op tomorrow, and all being well I hope to see you all anon.

All the best...

Thank you

See you later Herc - hope you can reciprocate. :D

Thinking of you - with everything crossed.
All the luck in the world, Herc.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th February 2023, 4:23 PM

Thank you. Presently with the abysmal interest rates the PBs still look as good deal, as you say, and there investment bonds are not bad. I've just taken out a 3 year "Green Bond" with them that is paying 3.25%.

A week ago they upped the rate on green bonds to 4.2%

If your Quick I think you can cancel your current bonds still, then open again at the new rate

Good luck tomorrow mate