Status report Page 6,147

Not the 'Make love not war badge'

Was supposed to have had a cataract op this morning, but the top surgeon I had requested had an emergency to save some man's sight, which of course is certainly fair enough.

I could have had the op last October IF I had chosen to go on their cancellation list, but I wanted this surgeon as he had done the trabeculectomy op on my left eye (they cut a tiny trapdoor in the white of your eye) about 2 or 3 years ago, and I was impressed with that, albeit it was an hour of wedged into a chair-bed and keeping still for an hour.

Anyway, I requested him, which I found out later he was quite chuffed at being asked for, and I was told I had to wait 4 to 6 weeks, and here we are more like 4 months later, and then get a postponement. C'est la vie.

Now a cataract op is fairly routine, BUT there is a 1000 to 1 chance it can go wrong, and if it did for me, with my near blind left eye, it would mean...........yes, I would be blind. No exaggeration, that would be me. Life over.

It's constantly on my mind

I'm sure everything will be fine

Best of luck

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd February 2023, 3:51 PM

Now a cataract op is fairly routine, BUT there is a 1000 to 1 chance it can go wrong, and if it did for me, with my near blind left eye, it would mean...........yes, I would be blind. No exaggeration, that would be me. Life over.

It's constantly on my mind

As you say it's routine. I've had it done and 1,000 to 1 is surely good odds.

My dad was in a similar situation last year

Already blind in one eye, he had to have a cataract op on the good eye - so yeah, scary

But everything was absolutely fine and he can now see better than he has for years and years

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd February 2023, 5:21 PM

I'm sure everything will be fine

Best of luck

Thank you

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd February 2023, 8:52 PM

As you say it's routine. I've had it done and 1,000 to 1 is surely good odds.

Good odds, yes. But.............

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd February 2023, 10:48 PM

My dad was in a similar situation last year

Already blind in one eye, he had to have a cataract op on the good eye - so yeah, scary

But everything was absolutely fine and he can now see better than he has for years and years

A bloke who worked at the same school as me had lost an eye in a motorbike accident many years ago, and had to have his "surviving" eye done, so very similar, and at the end of the day you have no choice, because you will go blind in that eye eventually.

I really am so pleased it went well for your dad

Thanks

The doctor who did it had a bike accident about 2 days before operation too!

So it got postponed for a couple of weeks cos of that

Bloody Hell. If it had been me, I think I would have said, "Do you think we should call it off"

A very bright "star" low down in the evening sky around 6pm for a short time. I think it's Mars but willing to be corrected.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th February 2023, 5:40 PM

A very bright "star" low down in the evening sky around 6pm for a short time. I think it's Mars but willing to be corrected.

Venus can be a bright low in the sky "star", and is known as the Evening Star - could that be it?

Wouldnt be Mars. Mars is visibly red or pink.
Venus or Jupiter is more likely.

YOU CANNOT BE SIRIUS!!

I've been waiting over 40 years for an opportunity to crack my tennis joke 😁

OK, don't laugh - see if I care. 😎

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th February 2023, 11:23 PM

Venus can be a bright low in the sky "star", and is known as the Evening Star - could that be it?

No. Venus, the evening star is always there. This is a "new" one only visible for an hour or two low down in the sky.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th February 2023, 8:11 PM

This is a "new" one only visible for an hour or two low down in the sky.

"Calling occupants of inter-planetary craft..."

Quote: Chappers @ 8th February 2023, 8:11 PM

This is a "new" one only visible for an hour or two low down in the sky.