Status report Page 5,998

You have just GOT to use that experience somehow. I would have thought a sitcom would be ideal - until that person you pitch it to steals it. Angry

Is it a bad thing that all of my past jobs end up being sitcom material? What does that say about my life? Dementia wards, door to door sales cults...where will it end? Surely being an insurance agent will be a change for the boring. I'm looking forward to that. Maybe I'll actually have free time to sit down and start writing something from all my crazy experiences.

Quote: Davida @ 9th February 2018, 11:37 AM

Surely being an insurance agent will be a change for the boring. I'm looking forward to that. Maybe I'll actually have free time to sit down and start writing something from all my crazy experiences.

TIP: to make time: leave your Porsche at home; don't drive to work, go on the train, bus and tube.

Then you can write on your iPhone or whatever gizmo you carry. That's what I do, and I have in total a three hour commute there and back. Writers bliss! And all those 'lovely people' surrounding you will provide endless inspiration for your scribbles. A great way to start the day. F**k facebook, kick that into touch asap, except for your Grandma in Oz, and other close family, who you've fell out with anyway, so that won't eat up too much time.

Not enough time to write, that old chesnut? Come on! Find time to write now! You'll be dead a long time, and believe me I know. If I'm not actually dead yet, then I may be tomorrow, so I'll write some more tonight... Yoiks!

And can I interest you in my range of 'writers apps' ... remember if you're not sure you need sausages, ask a butcher, he'll guide you to the correct answer every time... (old gag but so true to life, comedy being but real life skewed, as they say..)

Mind how you go...

:)

Bought some WD40 today to tackle a squeaky door. The smell of that stuff brings back so many memories of childhood when I used it on my racer and skateboard. Upturned bike on the driveway for repairs during the summer holidays :D

You'll notice it says for cleaning electrics on the tin.
Dont.
It's none conductive but leaves a residue that's flammable.
Any contacts that can spark will ignite it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 10th February 2018, 6:31 PM

Bought some WD40 today to tackle a squeaky door. The smell of that stuff brings back so many memories of childhood when I used it on my racer and skateboard. Upturned bike on the driveway for repairs during the summer holidays :D

It's great stuff. It was originally developed to be used on ICBMs.

Well, I'm not using it on my ICBM! :)

Nor me on my Itchy Crack Bum Middle

My status is: temporarily homeless as of about half past lunchtime. First night semi-rough sleeping, we'll see how it goes. Broken heart

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 10th February 2018, 6:17 PM

TIP: to make time: leave your Porsche at home; don't drive to work, go on the train, bus and tube.

Then you can write on your iPhone or whatever gizmo you carry. That's what I do, and I have in total a three hour commute there and back. Writers bliss! And all those 'lovely people' surrounding you will provide endless inspiration for your scribbles. A great way to start the day. F**k facebook, kick that into touch asap, except for your Grandma in Oz, and other close family, who you've fell out with anyway, so that won't eat up too much time.

Not enough time to write, that old chesnut? Come on! Find time to write now! You'll be dead a long time, and believe me I know. If I'm not actually dead yet, then I may be tomorrow, so I'll write some more tonight... Yoiks!

And can I interest you in my range of 'writers apps' ... remember if you're not sure you need sausages, ask a butcher, he'll guide you to the correct answer every time... (old gag but so true to life, comedy being but real life skewed, as they say..)

Mind how you go...

That's all lovely advice but I'm in rural America. The nearest settlement/civilization is roughly 30 miles away and there are a total of zero buses or trains for at least 20 miles. I could possibly bike except it's illegal to ride a bicycle next to interstate highways and that's the only connection to the city. There was rumoured to be one bus stop about 3.5 miles away from where I live but a bus only stopped there once a day and drove people into the mountain pass to ski (so it only ran for about 2 months out of the year) but I believe that service has been discontinued. I dont work at a ski lodge anyhow so it doesn't really matter.

I do a lot of brainstorming while I drive though, and I always carry a notebook in my pocket. I definitely have time to write now that I'm not working 80+ hours a week, but I'm focusing on other artistic endeavours at the moment. My idea to write comedy is currently just a pipe dream. Maybe someday.

In general though if I'm writing anything my habit is to switch the wifi off.

What are you writing at the moment?

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 2:32 AM

What are you writing at the moment?

A children's story, which leads me to this:

I like being involved in the comedy world in as involved a way as possible. I am ever seeking more involvement. If you have a way to involve me, please let me know, as I would like to get more involved. This could be reading things you've written, writing reviews, teaming up on a writing project, doing art for you, or...whatever! If you have an idea, run it by me. I'll give it due consideration.

Would you consider 'doing art for me' as I believe that 'wot I have wrote' would be ripe for some decent artwork.

There would be no payment per se but we would submit for publishing together, which would be in London where I am based, and also in the US ?????

Have you considered a voice recorder instead of a note book, then you could 'write' while you drive... I write poetry this way (while I am walking around) the last one was about an abandoned bottle I happened to see on top of an electric generator and it 'sang out' to me.. ..they do sing out, abandoned bottles ..have you noticed that? You have? I'm so relieved..

Thinx: I'll put this particular poem in Critique ... not that it's a comedy poem, but no one will notice as no one goes there anymore.. it's full of weeds now.. :( btw listening to Jacques Brel loud on headphones at the moment .. what a singer!

I think more coherently by writing things out by hand than by speaking. I can barely string a sentence together out loud if I'm on the spot. I really am better in writing than in person. Which is a bit sad considering how many stupid grammar and spelling I make on a regular basis (see previous post for evidence).

I don't really have anything for you to read of mine. I'm in the same position. Always eager and happy to read the writing of others and offer constructive criticism if it's wanted. My engagement with the comedy world is mainly through Mark (the mysterious non-Aaron co-founder of this site). Shoot him an email (he's on holiday right now though, so he won't answer right away) and offer up your services. That's exactly what I did, and he's handed me a handful of great opportunities to contribute to and engage with the comedy world/industry. I genuinely wouldn't have been able to go to the Fringe last August if not for the opportunities Mark has given me. And going to the Fringe was a dream of mine since I was 10 years old. He may just have a job waiting for you.

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 4:51 AM

I think more coherently by writing things out by hand than by speaking. I can barely string a sentence together out loud if I'm on the spot. I really am better in writing than in person. Which is a bit sad considering how many stupid grammar and spelling I make on a regular basis (see previous post for evidence).

I don't really have anything for you to read of mine. I'm in the same position. Always eager and happy to read the writing of others and offer constructive criticism if it's wanted. My engagement with the comedy world is mainly through Mark (the mysterious non-Aaron co-founder of this site). Shoot him an email (he's on holiday right now though, so he won't answer right away) and offer up your services. That's exactly what I did, and he's handed me a handful of great opportunities to contribute to and engage with the comedy world/industry. I genuinely wouldn't have been able to go to the Fringe last August if not for the opportunities Mark has given me. And going to the Fringe was a dream of mine since I was 10 years old. He may just have a job waiting for you.

Sorry, what I meant was, I have a job for you... well, possibly.

Would you be interested in an Art job illustrating a children's story?

Not paid per se but we could submit together for publishing?

Obviously you'd have to like the story and I'd have to like the pictures!!!

F

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 11th February 2018, 3:31 AM

I like being involved in the comedy world in as involved a way as possible. I am ever seeking more involvement. If you have a way to involve me, please let me know, as I would like to get more involved. This could be reading things you've written, writing reviews, teaming up on a writing project, doing art for you, or...whatever! If you have an idea, run it by me. I'll give it due consideration.

I thought you might have recognised the above words, but you probably write so many, like I do - they do look familiar though, don't they? They should, you wrote 'em in July 2016 in yer BCG profile!?

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 11th February 2018, 4:56 AM

Sorry, what I meant was, I have a job for you... well, possibly.

Would you be interested in an Art job illustrating a children's story?

Not paid per se but we could submit together for publishing?

Obviously you'd have to like the story and I'd have to like the pictures!!!

F

I thought you might have recognised the above words, but you probably write so many, like I do - they do look familiar though, don't they? They should, you wrote 'em in July 2016 in yer BCG profile!?

My memory is shit, and I don't make a habit of looking at my own profile, sorry. :P But thanks for taking the time to look at my profile and for reaching out.

If I thought I could illustrate a children's book, I'd say yes for sure (if it's any good), but my art is mainly all photorealism based on, well...you can probably guess...photos. I do mainly portraits. I'm not terribly creative with my drawings, at least from imagination. It would be a daunting project. I am working on doing the colour work for a graphic novel a friend of mine is doing, but I'm utterly incapable of doing linework, so I can't help with the actual drawing on that one. My hands are too shaky for linework.

What's it about though?

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 5:07 AM

What's it about though?

Well, that's best done off line so I'll email you.
See you later on email..
F :)