Shane

Frank Skinner's being interviewed on Radio 4 at the moment, and he said ITV have a series of his sitcom, Shane, which they have never shown, because they don't think it's funny enough.

Quote: catskillz @ October 6 2008, 7:24 PM BST

Frank Skinner's being interviewed on Radio 4 at the moment, and he said ITV have a series of his sitcom, Shane, which they have never shown, because they don't think it's funny enough.

What show is he getting interviewed on? And how long is he on for?

I might check it out.

The interview's just finished. It was on Front Row.

Quote: catskillz @ October 6 2008, 7:24 PM BST

Yeah, I've read about that before. Seems odd they would pay for it, make it, then not bother showing it; regardless of apparent 'quality'. I mean, if they always did that, ITV wouldn't have enough programmes to fill one channel, let alone the four they have now! Shane was a bit rubbish though. Or at least the couple of episodes I watched were.

I heard that they commissioned a second series, but decided not to show it. I liked the first series. I thought it showed promise. I would have welcomed a second series. You don't see much of Frank Skinner on TV anymore. He was good on Policeman's ball though.

I think Frank spending so much time with David Baddiel probably made him seem a lot funnier than he really was, in the same way a chubby girl will appear thinner than she really is, if she hangs around with a really fat friend. I mean Baddiel was just awful, wasn't he?

Quote: catskillz @ October 6 2008, 7:37 PM BST

I mean Baddiel was just awful, wasn't he?

No.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wCASLzsOG70

I think he's funny. :)

I've mentioned the second series a few times. It intrigues me, to say the least. All I know is that Charlie Hanson left as producer, in order to do Extras.

Quote: catskillz @ October 6 2008, 7:37 PM BST

I mean Baddiel was just awful, wasn't he?

He's always had, at the very least, more obviously funny partners. Newman, before he went all socially concious and blathered on about saving the planet or whatever, was really very funny indeed.

(Another, lesser-known ITV sitcom, High Stakes, had two series' produced, but only one broadcast. The second one, however, was released on DVD. I'd hope that the second series of Shane is released alongside the first.)

Quote: Seefacts @ October 6 2008, 7:42 PM BST

No.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wCASLzsOG70

What clip is it? I can't watch Youtube clips a t the moment, because I'm using the wifi of the office next to my house, and they've got a filter thingy, stopping them from watching clips.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6 2008, 7:30 PM BST

Yeah, I've read about that before. Seems odd they would pay for it, make it, then not bother showing it; regardless of apparent 'quality'. I mean, if they always did that, ITV wouldn't have enough programmes to fill one channel, let alone the four they have now!

Ha ha.

You're right though... seeing as they had already paid for it you'd have thought they'd have tucked it away somewhere if for no other reason than to fill three hours on ITV4.

Shane 2 is something that's been intriguing me for ages... I mean how bad must it have been for them to lock it in the archives? And why did they let them make the whole series before deciding... didn't an ITV exec visit the set to check how things were going?

I think it's probably an executive with a grudge. I can't see it being that bad (I actually quite liked the first series, although I know I'm in a minority there).

Didn't Baddiel have a sitcom on Sky, that had a massive amount of episodes, like an American sitcom? I've never seen any of it. All I remember hearing, is that in one episode, he feared his son might be gay, because he didn't like football.

Baddiel's Syndrome.

(Apparently.)