500 Greatest Films Page 9

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2008, 12:58 PM BST

Awful. Just f**king awful. Bored the tits off me when I went to see it; I just didn't see what was supposed to be so special about it.

Well, it was no Robocop, that's for sure.

I love a lot of P.T.Andersons stuff; Punch Drunk Love and Magnolia are particular favourites.

I love The Road Home, a very different sort of Chinese film.

Ooh! I've just remembered Blind Shaft. That was awesome.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ October 2 2008, 11:07 AM BST

Das Boot

Good call. LIke your Coen brothers picks as well.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 2 2008, 12:59 PM BST

Well, it was no Robocop, that's for sure.

A half man/half robot cop, shooting the crap out of Yun Fat and the woman as they tried to sword fight in the trees would have made things much more interesting.

Yeah I thought about putting Magnolia on my list. But it's too long. And the frogs made me cross. But I love the soundtrack. Aimee Mann and Supertramp? I'm there.

Ditto Boogie Nights. Some fantastic scenes. But way too long.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 12:54 PM BST

I love the first half of A Matter Of Life And Death but I do struggle with that interminable trial scene, which was what kept it off my list.

Considered and rejected for the same reason.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 1:02 PM BST

Yeah I thought about putting Magnolia on my list. But it's too long. And the frogs made me cross. But I love the soundtrack. Aimee Mann and Supertramp? I'm there.

Ditto Boogie Nights. Some fantastic scenes. But way too long.

Never noticed that myself, they felt just long enough to me! Haven't gotton round to seeing There Will Be Blood yet though, his latest.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2008, 1:00 PM BST

Punch Drunk Love and Magnolia are particular favourites.

Magnolia is an excellent film. The opening scenes really grab you and it keeps you enthralled throughout. The cast is also top notch: Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H Macy, even Tom Cruise aquitted himself well.

Has anyone else mentioned Blade Runner as a favourite yet? Because that film is awesome. And Alien. But no other Ridley Scott films; don't even get me started on the pile of poo that was Gladiator.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 1:02 PM BST

But I love the soundtrack. Aimee Mann and Supertramp? I'm there.

The soundtrack is one of the things that lifted it above the norm for me.

Can't argue with that cast, they are all terrific.

I had Alien in my list. And I'd forgotten Blade Runner, but that's great too. Which brings me to Harrison Ford, and I'd have to put all three of the original Indiana Jones films on my list. (I haven't seen the new one, as everyone said it was cack and I don't want to spoil my memories.)

Quote: JuliaC @ October 2 2008, 1:08 PM BST

The soundtrack is one of the things that lifted it above the norm for me.

The bit where they all start singing along to the same song is great.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 1:09 PM BST

I had Alien in my list. And I'd forgotten Blade Runner, but that's great too. Which brings me to Harrison Ford, and I'd have to put all three of the original Indiana Jones films on my list. (I haven't seen the new one, as everyone said it was cack and I don't want to spoil my memories.)

What happened to Ford? He used to be in such great films, now he only seems to appear in, without exception, cack. What was the last good film he was in? Maybe Indy 3? When was Frantic? Its been a while anyway; I didn't rate The Fugitive, if anyone was going to pipe up with that one. Or that one where he was a kick-ass president.

This thread is really motivating me to get some films watched.

I notice Gangs Of New York is on FilmFour tonight, I never saw that.

Also Monkey Business, a Cary Grant that I've never seen.

And another favourite that should have been on my list: Team America: World Police.

What happened to Ford? He used to be in such great films, now he only seems to appear in, without exception, cack. What was the last good film he was in?

It certainly wasn't Firewall.

I think I liked What Lies Beneath but I can't remember. It wasn't great, anyway.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2008, 1:08 PM BST

Has anyone else mentioned Blade Runner as a favourite yet?

I must be the only person distinctly nonplussed by Blade Runner. Sure, looks great, but pretty empty and, IMO, boring.