500 Greatest Films Page 8

Life is Beautiful???

There's a couple of funny bits, in one of the most sacharine dislikeable films ever.

Dr T and the 500 fingers, Dr Seuss's only live action film kicks ass.

As does Forbidden Planet.

Oh Twelve Angry Men! How can I forget that! Maybe the best film ever. Superb call.

Quote: sootyj @ October 2 2008, 11:09 AM BST

Life is Beautiful???

Is that the foreign film? Set in a POW camp?

Yep. Roberto Benigni's concentration camp comedy.

If we're talking black and white movies, I'd add Sunset Boulevard. How can you go wrong with a film that starts with a dead man narating?

To my shame, I've never seen Sunset Boulevard. The only thing I've seen narrated by a dead person is Desperate Housewives.

Ed Wood is a fabulosly beautiful film and very funny.
Has any film been more about hope?

Bride of Frankenstein, and Love and Monsters as a Double Bill.

And of course the Korda Brother.

Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 10:50 AM BST

I

They hardly ever seem to show foreign films on TV anymore, at least not on any of the Freeview channels. BBC2 and FilmFour used to be good for this, but not now apparently.

Sill get a few on Film Four, and BBC4 is worth keeping an eye on.

I love the first half of A Matter Of Life And Death but I do struggle with that interminable trial scene, which was what kept it off my list. The adaptation of it at the National Theatre last year was amazing though.

Quote: chipolata @ October 2 2008, 11:12 AM BST

If we're talking black and white movies,

Touch Of Evil.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 11:13 AM BST

To my shame, I've never seen Sunset Boulevard. The only thing I've seen narrated by a dead person is Desperate Housewives.

You never saw American Beauty?

I don't think I've seen that. Ah well, at least I still have the joy of discovering some classics ahead of me.

I do like The Third Man though. Can't remember whether I liked it enough to put on my list.

You never saw American Beauty?

Ah! Good point. I did, and it's on my list. A top film.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 11:03 AM BST

Oh I forgot Chinese films. Love Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,

Awful. Just f**king awful. Bored the tits off me when I went to see it; I just didn't see what was supposed to be so special about it.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 11:03 AM BST

Oh I forgot Chinese films. Love Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Farewell My Concubine, and I know it wasn't really a Chinese film but I liked Memoirs Of A Geisha.

I love The Road Home, a very different sort of Chinese film.

But not Welsh films. I don't think I've seen a good film set in Wales yet.

The Englishman Who Walked Up a Hill and Came Down A Mountain is alright.

Which reminds me of a story from school. I went into school one morning and struck up the conversational gambit "Did anyone see 10,000 Years BC on TV last night?". Surely this would be a hit, with Racquel Welch and dinosaurs in the same film. No, said someone dismissively, "it was all in Welsh".

:D

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 12:57 PM BST

I don't think I've seen that. Ah well, at least I still have the joy of discovering some classics ahead of me.

I do like The Third Man though. Can't remember whether I liked it enough to put on my list.

The Third Man is amazing; Welles in that is immense.