500 Greatest Films Page 6

It is all a matter of taste, but surely it is impossible to place Star Wars or Indian Jones films in an all-time top ten only if this is based on a subjective memory of how it felt to see them when you were twelve, rather than a critical evaluation?

Mine would look something like this:

Brazil
Some Like It Hot
Fargo
The Third Man
Zulu
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Man Who Would Be King
Kind Hearts and Coronets
A Very Long Engagement
Master and Commander

Brazil & Kind Hearts are excellento.

Quote: Timbo @ September 30 2008, 2:20 PM BST

Brazil

Love it.

I love Nightmare Before Christmas. It's in my top 10 and I think for the amount of work that went into that movie it should be at least within the top 50.

*thinks about using Brazil De Niro avatar*

Lebowski is a big, big favourite of mine. I never get sick of the dialogue in that film. It just makes me want to write and write.

*does so*

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 30 2008, 2:22 PM BST

*thinks about using Brazil De Niro avatar*

Looks like Alan Yentob.

Tis Tuttle, plumbing/heating terrorist. :)

Quote: Curt @ September 30 2008, 2:22 PM BST

Love it.

I love Nightmare Before Christmas. It's in my top 10 and I think for the amount of work that went into that movie it should be at least within the top 50.

Curt you have fantastic tast Nightmare before Christmas is one of the best films made.

Looks like the taller of the Chuckle Brothers.

To me, to you..

Quote: Timbo @ September 30 2008, 2:20 PM BST

Brazil
Some Like It Hot
Fargo
The Third Man
Zulu
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Man Who Would Be King
Kind Hearts and Coronets
A Very Long Engagement
Master and Commander

Great list. I'd forgotten all about The Man Who Would Be King. That was brilliant. And very funny too. Didn't John Huston want to make it for years, and his original choices for the lead were Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable? And talking of Humphrey Bogart, I'd also like to mention The Treasure of the Sierre Madre. A great film about greed and madness.

Master and Commander, with Russell Crowe?

I hated Fargo the first time I saw it. I really like it now though.

I seem to like the Coen's older films better.