Massive Page 4

Quote: swerytd @ September 17 2008, 9:23 AM BST

Carl Rice (comedy genius in waiting, as I've said numerous times before) held the whole thing together though. Now he's showing us that he can do Freeman/Horne-levels of 'face-acting' and making us laugh without saying anything at all. The scenes with him and Johnny Vegas and the chemistry between them was one of the high-points of the episodes, in my opinion.

Dan

Was he cardigan boy?
He was good.

He was indeed cardigan boy. The actual super hero...

Dan

That little rat-faced bloke just annoys me.

By the way, I wasn't talking about Paul Kaye, when I typed that. I was talking about the one who plays Johnny Vegas's son.

Just caught up with episodes 1 and 2 of this. Although it is has a certain rogueish charm, it seems to me that there is a fundamental flaw with the premise. I mean, these two guys, we're told, have wanted to do this (ie. setting up a record label) for years, have a creditable taste in indie music, and are finally able to do it because of a 5000 pounds bequest.

Given this, is it, I wonder, entirely believable, that in order to sign an act to their label, they go no further than the local talent pool, deciding between a left of centre indie band and a sub x-factor girl band? They really wouldn't take in a broader sweep of demos?

This, for me, is a failure that underpins the programme. Added to which, merely adding a soundtrack of contempary indie doesn't make it 'cool'. I'd rather comedy be funny than cool. This is supposed be a sitcom after all, not the f**king Wire!

That's a very good point John - now I think about it you're quite right, they'd never sign HereKittyKitty. Damn you, you've spoilt it for me now too. ha ha (it's ok, I don't mind)

I'm still watching though - it's one of the more enjoyable sitcoms BBC Three have put out this year.

Well, I won't be watching any more. It seems to be more of a drama than a sitcom, everyone is so serious. Switch is the only likeable character that seems to smile in it. There aren't many laughs and it just doesn't engage me.

Also, the unrealistic factor mentioned in the last few posts is a huge hole in it.

I cracked up with laughter at some of the interviews 'Hear Kitty Kitty' did in episode 3. Very funny, and great reactions from the others.

Well innocently looking on the 'Massive' Page, It has been slightly ruined.. Who Writes the stuff! Talk about giving it away!

They're the official synopses (is that the correct collective term?) as issued by the broadcaster.

Then I apologise and BBC 3 are a tad dense :)

I think the Swing character is a complete mess. First they had him acting all nerdy, rapping about computers, then they showed him in his bedroom rapping about bitches and guns.

I'm afraid to say I really dislike this. The Swing character's dull storyline seems totally disconnected to that of the record label bosses' - why is he in this? I'm not keen on the record label guys' performances - they seem to be trying a bit too hard and it's coming off as desperate. I don't find what gags there are all that funny - the best line from this week's episode I reckon was the "thumb it in slack" bit and the two girls in the band are the best thing in the show. Not for me, this one.

Quote: Chickenoriental @ September 22 2008, 9:25 PM BST

Well innocently looking on the 'Massive' Page, It has been slightly ruined.. Who Writes the stuff! Talk about giving it away!

Sorry about that. If you're going to look ahead at future episode synopsis I think you've got to be prepared that there might be spoilers.

A lot of people do like knowing what's coming up - so we're going to continue to put up future episode synopsis in our guides. Probably best to avoid them if you like things to be a surprise.

p.s. I've edited your original post so you don't spread the spoiler ;)

Quote: catskillz @ September 23 2008, 12:18 AM BST

I think the Swing character is a complete mess. First they had him acting all nerdy, rapping about computers, then they showed him in his bedroom rapping about bitches and guns.

I think the point is he's only confident when by himself with the mic... but, yeah, I know what you mean. Excluding the rapping I think he's a very endearing character.

Well I have just watched the final episode. I like the series! There is some funny scenes the characters all seem to work well with each other and I can guarantee a good laugh with each episode. I generally enjoyed it and I do hope it comes back for a second series.. I may even go as far as to buy the DVD should they release it :)

I just watched the last episode yesterday. Got to say that it seems to have finally found it's feet as a proper sitcom in setup. Loved episode 5 with the splitting up/arguing and, though not particularly funny, got you believing in the characters (as we arguably should have done a lot earlier in the series).

There's good mileage in them going all around the country (and I know Hebden Bridge, so doubly funny in that respect!) looking for and signing bands.

Two laugh-out-loud moments last night. Can't remember what they were exactly but the fact that I remember that makes it memorable for me.

(And Carl Rice is a comedy genius, whatever anybody else says...)

Dan