The Beatles...wot you rek? Page 2

Being a big fan of Hip hop and Funk, since I got my mum to buy my first single for me, when I was 8, I got into the Beatles thanks to my older sister, who got really into '60s music, around the same time. She had me listening to all the big bands, e.g. The Mommas and the Poppas, The Beach Boys, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Small Faces, and even The Monkees, who, in my eyes always deserved more credit than they got, from music fans, and the media.

The Beatles... noone was better, noone is better, noone will ever be.

Quote: DaButt @ September 6 2008, 12:56 AM BST

We're still lucky enough to have "unlimited" bandwidth, but ominous clouds are on the horizon. My ISP (Time-Warner Cable) is talking about a 40GB/month cap. The other big U.S. cable operator, Comcast, recently unveiled a 250GB cap. I'm hoping TW match it, as my normal usage is just about 250GB per month.

Most of the higher-end tarrifs here are unlimited, but they all are subject to ISP-defined, and not specified to the customer, 'fair use'. I recently managed to get my Dad's speed throttled because I'd downloaded too much in a single month. When he phoned up the ISP to find out the exact details of the restriction, the guy who answered said that he was also throttled, for the exact same reason... Ahem.

Quote: WrongTale @ September 6 2008, 8:16 AM BST

The Beatles... noone was better, noone is better, noone will ever be.

So you're saying Herman's Hermits were better...?

Quote: Aaron @ September 6 2008, 9:45 AM BST

Most of the higher-end tarrifs here are unlimited, but they all are subject to ISP-defined, and not specified to the customer, 'fair use'.

Comcast was infamous for throttling/banning users for excessive downloading, but they would never commit to an exact measurement, basically leaving the customer in the dark. So it was surprising that they actually committed to a specific number and even more surprising that it was as high as 250GB.

All the major ISPs are television providers, so they're worried that bandwidth hogs, such as Netflix's unlimited streaming movies on demand, will eat into their business.

I see that Amazon just opened the doors on its new on-demand video store. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Quote: Tuumble @ September 5 2008, 11:03 PM BST

Any good?

Yes, I reckon.

The toppermost of the poppermost!

:)

They're good, but there's lots of sixties stuff I prefer, like The Who, or The Stones.

Geez, I didn't realise anybody disliked The Beatles. I feel they're deservedly regarded as the greatest.

And with all the talk of 60's bands, nobody has mentioned The Kinks? :(

Quote: Tommy Power @ September 6 2008, 3:41 PM BST

Geez, I didn't realise anybody disliked The Beatles. I feel they're deservedly regarded as the greatest.

Has anyone said they didn't like them? Only that there are other bands they prefer.

Quote: Griff @ September 6 2008, 3:56 PM BST

Aaron doesn't like the Beatles. But we can disregard his views quite safely.

Aaron is an Aqua fan. Enough said.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 6 2008, 3:55 PM BST

Has anyone said they didn't like them? Only that there are other bands they prefer.

Nah; I imagined it was a foregone conclusion, like death and taxes. :P

Quote: Tommy Power @ September 6 2008, 3:41 PM BST

I've probably listened to The Kinks more frequently than The Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep or any other British band of the era with the notable exception of The Who.

I was listening to the kinks about ten minutes ago. Sunny afternoon.

Quote: DaButt @ September 6 2008, 4:04 PM BST

I've probably listened to The Kinks more frequently than The Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep or any other British band of the era with the notable exception of The Who.

I'm a big fan of Led Zep, but never really saw much in the Stones or Pink Floyd. The Who I'm not sure about, don't really know what they did.

Massive Beatles fan. I liked The Whos (Can't Explain, Substitute etc) and The Stones earlier stuff. There are only a few Pink Floyd & Led Zep songs I like. The Kinks were great, but I don't think they're in the same league as The Beatles.