The Beatles...wot you rek? Page 10

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th March 2022, 8:20 AM

Hey Jude. Interminable. I lose the will to live long before it reaches its merciful conclusion.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th March 2022, 8:47 AM

Me too, and his godawful Long and Winding Road. Both John & Paul's songwriting became tedious and forced by 1968, their egos so bloated with fame from their best mid period, Help, Rubber Soul & Revolver and undeservedly from St. Peppers on. Abbey Road is the most pretentious overrated load of rock rubbish ever created, it's only interest is the huffy Lennon versus Macca solo songwriting duel of side 1 and 2.

https://youtu.be/iW7skJLjTJY I thought I could overcome my Beatles obsession. I should've known better.

I prefer Herman and the Hermits

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th March 2022, 8:47 AM

Me too, and his godawful Long and Winding Road. Both John & Paul's songwriting became tedious and forced by 1968, their egos so bloated with fame from their best mid period, Help, Rubber Soul & Revolver and undeservedly from St. Peppers on. Abbey Road is the most pretentious overrated load of rock rubbish ever created, it's only interest is the huffy Lennon versus Macca solo songwriting duel of side 1 and 2.

????

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th March 2022, 6:33 PM

Actually Herman possessed the Hermits. He didn't just hang around with them as an equal.

Rubber Soul & Revolver are both brilliant Sgt Peppers & Abbey Road maybe a bit overrated but still brilliant by any other bands standards

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th March 2022, 6:33 PM

Don't be silly

If someone prefers Hermans Hermits to the Beatles then I always suspect that they are into something good
and can I have some

Oh you've frozen my text, highlighting an inexcusable grammatical error I'll blame on doing the post on a phone, with its ridiculous auto spell thing I didn't notice.

To add to my unpopular Abbey Road dig, not just the songwriting but the actual recording was done separately by the band members, being so sick of each other by then. And it shows, on a disparate two sided LP, with side 1 more horrisonant than some of The White Album. John trying too hard to be rocky. Paul did it much better with Get Back In the USSR. Do excuse me.

Nope, don't excuse yourself for daring to have an opinion and - f**k! - sharing it. Personally I love all their stuff and for me the later material was their peak, especially The White Album and Paul's ballads. Lovely.
Sgt Pepper IS overrated though. It was a cultural phenomenon and broke the boundaries of what you can do with the rock n' roll album, but the individual songs aren't their best. Lucy, Leaving Home and Day in the Life, but otherwise... George was hardly involved, and his effort is so boring he needed to add laughter; Paul's twee side gets the better of him; and Mr Kite is one of my least favourite Lennon moments. Yet it's constantly heading those 'greatest albums ever' lists. Give me Revolver, White Album and Abbey Road any day. And Melanie C every other day.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th March 2022, 8:03 AM

Nope, don't excuse yourself for daring to have an opinion and - f**k! - sharing it. Personally I love all their stuff and for me the later material was their peak, especially The White Album and Paul's ballads. Lovely.

Bloody hell - you're slipping MM. We're in total agreement again.

You'll have to go on that "Bolshie bastard, talking a load of bollocks" refresher course again

That's three times someone's agreed with me in seven years, three months and a week and a bit. Better lower my standards again. Mind you, it's hard to actually dislike the Beatles. You don't have to be an obsessive, but listening to them and saying 'This is total and utter f**king shit'...
My ambition is to sit through Give My Regards to Broad Street in its entirety. Then I'll know I'm there.
Reading George Harrison's I, Me, Mine. It's a pleasant reminisce, but if you want a 'proper' bio, this isn't it.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th March 2022, 10:16 AM

My ambition is to sit through Give My Regards to Broad Street in its entirety. Then I'll know I'm there.

Apart from the hot rod Perpendicular Popular, the only thing I remember enjoying was Paul busking outside a train/ tube (?) station and trying to persuade some bloke that he wasn't Paul McCartney ?

I actually saw it on vid circa 89. As I recall, the plot was:
1. Exposition. Paul thinks he's lost the tapes to his fantabulous new album.
2. Development. Paul finds the tapes to his fantabulous new album.
3. Twist: Paul wakes up! It was all Paul's dream!!!!!! Paul's life isn't really that exciting.
There are some dream sequences too, lasting several decades.
The OST is good, though. Some revisits and No More Horny Nights. It's Classic Elvis fodder: I know it's shit, but it's shit with HIM in it!!!!!

Revolver,I bought it and played it a lot.
But I came to the conclusion that I don't actually like many of the tracks.
And a lot of them a very short ,it all seems a bit rushed.It's not a LP I can warm to.

They are probably the most annoying collection of people in a pop group ever. John and Paul are just unbearable, and the other two are only slightly more tolerable. Even Jedward are more likeable.