The Beatles...wot you rek? Page 7

How Do You Sleep? is my favourite Lennon track.

Quote: Aaron @ September 6 2008, 9:45 AM BST

Most of the higher-end tarrifs here are unlimited, but they all are subject to ISP-defined, and not specified to the customer, 'fair use'. I recently managed to get my Dad's speed throttled because I'd downloaded too much in a single month.

Wow, looks like my ISP has ramped up the speed since the last time I checked. Once the download caps take effect you'll be able to reach the throttling threshold in mere seconds.
;)

Echo Griff and Frankie. Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album is raw gritty rock, angst and bile in a bottle. Possibly his best vocals as he enters (and leaves) his Janov-inspired Primal Scream phase.

Isolation - a much better piano song than Imagine. My theme song Laughing out loud http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCXkqDGEoU

#9 Dream is orgasm without mess. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ThzeFA8lg

Meat City - a rocker from Mind Games. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1yXSU7nkvzE

Although he gets knocked for his beliefs (whether I agree with them or not) he was both unafraid to speak his convictions and was always sincere in the moment ... despite his legendary fickleness. Sincerity and fickleness needn't be exclusive.

My only real gripe with Lennon and others of his ilk is that they only sing about giving up the concept of ownership when they're rich enough not to care. Apart from that, no one can argue with his influence (along with McCartney) on pop culture and the music industry. You may dislike his music or the person but you can't discount it.

I like Lennon's solo stuff very much. Only got Lennon Legend, but I think all you need is that and Plastic Ono Band. I've listened to a few of his later solo albums and there's the odd bit of genius like Mind Games, but also a lot of blandness.

I love The Beatles too. I got a really good Beatles book a few years back. I think it came out in the late 70s and is called "Shout: The True Story of The Beatles" - it has a nice cartoon-esque front cover as well.

Quote: Winterlight @ September 7 2008, 4:47 PM BST

Only got Lennon Legend, but I think all you need is that and Plastic Ono Band.

The Imagine album IS worth getting. Don't let the title tracks over-use put you off.

Jealous Guy is good, and Working Class Hero.

I think what Aaron maybe referring to when he says Lennon is a cnut is that Lennon is accused of wife beating by his.. er, wife (ex-wife). Lennon also had a reputation for thumping people from time to time too. He was also probably a womaniser at different times in his life and he didn't seem to be a very good dad to his first son, Julian.

I am not sure I would have liked Lennon the man if I'd met him (glad I didn't in a way) but I do feel that he, and particularly in partnership with McCartney, was one of the best songwriters this country has ever produced.

I am a great believer in separating the man from the art. A lot of creatives are arseholes. It doesn't mean their work is an arsehole though.

Anyway, the Lennon/McCartney back catalogue speaks for itself, it says 'I am the Lennon/McCartney back catalogue, whack!'

Quote: Griff @ September 8 2008, 10:38 AM BST

Nah, I'll bet Aaron had no idea about any of that. He was just expressing his dislike in the strongest terms available.

He's been a little devil ever since he discovered the 'c' word!

Laughing out loud

Greatest band of all time - first record released in 1963, split up in 1970. Think of how much they achieved in that time. By the time Abbey Road was released they were all still in their late 20s. That just blows my little mind.

I think their first release was 1962 ... I think but don't quote me. :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 7 2008, 12:24 PM BST

Not liking him doesn't make you an ignorant arse.

It's the name-calling and the rest of the bullshit you are saying about him that makes you an ignorant arse!

Then my previous post still stands. And I'm still relieved he'll be coming out with no more shite.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 7 2008, 12:54 PM BST

How Do You Sleep? is my favourite Lennon track.

Someone needs to clean that up and remove the terrible echo 'effect' on the vocals. Would be alright if it wasn't for that.

Quote: DaButt @ September 7 2008, 1:58 PM BST

Wow, looks like my ISP has ramped up the speed since the last time I checked. Once the download caps take effect you'll be able to reach the throttling threshold in mere seconds.
;)

F**k. Me.

Puts my connection to shame - and this is probably a bit above the average.

Quote: Griff @ September 8 2008, 10:38 AM BST

Nah, I'll bet Aaron had no idea about any of that.

:)

Anyway, after listening to the three tracks SlagA posted, Meat City was ok, but the others, and all I have read in the thread, have not served to change my opinion.

Quote: DaButt @ September 7 2008, 1:58 PM BST

;)

Christ on a bicycle!

That's on a good day for my connection!

Can't wait to move out! And get 16MB :P

Quote: Paul W @ September 8 2008, 6:32 PM BST

Can't wait to move out! And get 16MB :P

Next time I move, I'm going to base my house searching on what speeds I can get.

Is that a bit sad...? :/

Quote: Aaron @ September 8 2008, 6:39 PM BST

Next time I move, I'm going to base my house searching on what speeds I can get.

My avatar says "Yes!".

Quote: Aaron @ September 8 2008, 6:39 PM BST

Very much so.

Just set up camp right near the servers in London.