The Armstrong & Miller Show Page 7

The only thing that bothered me about that sketch was that it wasn't one of the funniest ones.

There was nothing offensive to me in there. MAYBE if it had been a baby doll, rather than a woman, it might have been a bit dodgy. But either way, it was just an inanimate object that looked quite amusing in a bike basket.

Quote: ajp29 @ November 4, 2007, 9:45 AM

The sketch where the man dates a childs doll is just sickening. I can see no merit in it, the punchline was shit and thw whole thing smacked of very thinly veiled paedohpilia.

It actually angers me a little when people make ridiculous comments like this. The dolls were both of adults as other people have said so the idea that it was 'thinly veiled paedophilia' is absurd. For a man or woman to find a doll sexy would be no different to them finding Lara Croft or Jessica Rabbit sexy. Sad perhaps but nothing more. It certainly wouldn't make them a paedophile in any way, shape or form and that kind of ignorance is, imo, unacceptable.

Quote: ajp29 @ November 4, 2007, 10:36 AM

Well firstly no its not the same a falling in love with a bouncy castle. Big Train did a very funny sketch with a puppet. Why did it start in a toy shop and why is it a child's doll? Why is the man finding a children's toy sexually arousing? It should have been a bouncy castle or something like that. The fact that the doll appears in the man's eyes to be a helpless easily manipulated object is clearly some sort of metaphor. Theres definately some disturbing personification going on.

I am reading into it but I don't think too much. If it wasn't deliberate then in my eyes its reckless. My main point really is how this got through production. Its shocking. Did no-one think maybe we need a sketch with a better punchline or what are we trying to say with this sketch. Like most sketch shows all the jokes have been done before so what diferentiates them is the style and presentation of it. Therefore wirters do think about the different 'layers' of their sketches.

Political Correctness and tabloid paranoia have caused some riduculous accusations but this is clearly, in my eyes, not the case with my objection.

Feel free to think i'm a looney. I just wanted to share my opinion.

like the majority, I can't agree about your peodo theory. I think it reveals more about what's in your mind than anything else. The object of the sketch, which was a little predictable and weak, was basically a miniature woman made of plastic. So what if its a kid's toy? Its not a kid. All this talk of metaphors etc, its a daft sketch - remember what surreal is?

I think its comments like this that are unnecessarily restricting comedy today.

Quote: ajp29 @ November 4, 2007, 10:36 AM

Feel free to think i'm a looney. I just wanted to share my opinion.

I never said I think youre a looney, just that I find your theory a little ridiculous, which I think it is. Its a silly, surreal sketch, whether its actually funny or not is another matter. I agree with what someone else said, if the doll would have been a baby or of a child, then maybe you could acuse it of being dodgy, but the dolls were of adults. You were just sharing your opinion, I, in return, was sharing mine.

Quote: Nick @ November 4, 2007, 11:24 AM

For a man or woman to find a doll sexy would be no different to them finding Lara Croft or Jessica Rabbit sexy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Lois from 'Family Guy' has really nice legs.

I fancy the dog.

I'd give Barneys missus one out of the flintstones... I like the dead eyes.

Too far?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 4, 2007, 1:48 PM

I think its comments like this that are unnecessarily restricting comedy today.

Laughing out loud I'm glad my comments carry so much weight.

You could be the new Mary Whitehouse, if only you'd put a bit of effort in!
:)

Have to say, I agree with everyone else. I know Adam and I have never - and will never - exactly see eye-to-eye as far as politics and socety goes, but Adam, I really think you're off your f**king trolley with this one. I echo the points everyone else has made. It's just an inanimate object, of a human. And an adult human at that.

I thought it was one of the funniest sketches and it was because of the paedophilic connotations. I've heard about a gay bloke who collects Barbie Dolls and has hundreds with all sorts of costumes including some really pervy ones.

Quote: Mark @ November 3, 2007, 7:25 PM

I thought this latest episode was very good, but yes the repetition which kills so many sketch shows has started to creep in.

The musical numbers with those two old chaps make me laugh (going to the loo on the train).

I'm old enough to know that those 2 old blokes are based on Michael Flanders and Donald Swan who sang things like "Mud, mud, glorious mud".

Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.

Quote: zooo @ November 4, 2007, 6:35 PM

You could be the new Mary Whitehouse, if only you'd put a bit of effort in!
:)

He's not saying that the show should be banned, and he's not written vitriolic letters to the BBC or waved flags of any nature. He voiced an opinion. The main problem with political correctness in comedy is that it lets talentless fools like Jim Davidson get away with looking 'subversive'.

Quote: Cinnamon @ November 4, 2007, 8:33 PM

He's not saying that the show should be banned, and he's not written vitriolic letters to the BBC or waved flags of any nature. He voiced an opinion. The main problem with political correctness in comedy is that it lets talentless fools like Jim Davidson get away with looking 'subversive'.

Who on earth thinks Davidson is subversive?! I think its a widely held belief that hes an idiot. And you say he voiced an opinion, well thats what everyone else has done as well, fairs fair.

Davidson has a large fanbase, many of which support him because he is seen to stand up to political correctness. Yes, you can identify him as a sad and talentless bigot, but a lot can't seem to as he remains hugely successful. That was just an example, however, and I realise that Leevil has also given a methaphorical arse kick to the little boil with a microphone so maybe I should find a new example.