Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 68

What a load of crap.

Quote: Mark @ April 19 2009, 9:20 PM BST

Anyone else see Points Of View earlier?

BBC Comedy Head Mark Freeland did a poor job of trying to explain why Not Going Out was cancelled. In fact he dodged it.

You're right he didn't address the question at all! I just wanted to hit him! (bit extreme, but that's how I felt!) Just proving that they can't justify at all why NGO was axed while Horne and Corden remains.

Jeremy Vine is great though, what a talented family!

He tried to justify the point of Coming Of Age. Urgh! I wanted to hit him to.

Quote: Mark @ April 19 2009, 9:20 PM BST

In fact he dodged it. He also totally undermined his general argument with the statement "millions find Corden & Horne funny". Um... that duo's highest ratings: 817,000 (and most of them were probably watching just to see what it's like, rather than finding it funny). Less than a million does not equal millions Mark!

If he were to be honest, he would have qualified that statement by saying the BBC views the type of people who watch Corden and Horne as more important than those who watch NGO. The sad fact is, the BBC has certain demographics it cares about more than others.

Or is it just what he likes - or even (horror of horrors!) the fact he's their mate or dad or brother or lover?

Quote: David Chapman @ April 20 2009, 7:33 PM BST

he's their mate or dad or brother or lover?

or all four!

Quote: earman2009 @ April 20 2009, 7:39 PM BST

or all four!

Is he from Wales then?

Quote: David Chapman @ April 20 2009, 7:52 PM BST

Is he from Wales then?

Laughing out loud

Oh. My. Gosh. BBC's head of comedy should be a politician.

I have never seen anyone evade a question so beautifully. Unimpressed

I admit, I was actually sad enough to write into points of view to complain that Not Going Out has been axed and to ask why???? I got no answer and am left wondering if something a tad dodgy went on.... Rolling eyes hmmm...

Quote: Mrs Mack @ April 20 2009, 8:47 PM BST

I admit, I was actually sad enough to write into points of view to complain that Not Going Out has been axed and to ask why????

So did I.

Quote: Mrs Mack @ April 20 2009, 8:47 PM BST

something a tad dodgy went on.... Rolling eyes hmmm...

Probably.

I also sent an email to POV

I noticed the BAFTAs are on this Sunday and guess what, no nominations for NGO, again.

Has this excellent ever been up for an award in the British Comedy Awards or a BAFTA. It certainly does look as if some people for some bizarre reason has it in for this programme.

Maybe it's because it is so funny that it shows other so called comedies up?

The petition is now even on broadcastnow.co.uk....

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2009/04/fans_rally_to_save_bbc_comedy_not_going_out.html

EDIT:

The stage have also got ahold of it + a quote from an unnamed BBC producer:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/24184/not-going-out-fans-call-for-shows-return

But you know that even if we get 10,000,000 signatures they won't take any notice.

If they ignore a direct question on Points Of View, then they'll ignore a petition. Sadly. (I still signed it!)

I'm sure, there's something we've not been told as to why NGO was cancelled, as it really doesn't quite add up.

I'm sure if there was anything sinister behind the decision it would come out.

It's probably just down to the person in charge not actually liking the show. As this thread testifies, its a bit of a 'love-it-or-hate-it' one; nobody seems to be indifferent.

It's also unlike anything else on the BBC so maybe it just didn't fit in.

As much as I despise conspiracy theories etc I suspect that there is something else behind this (but probably something as straight forward as personal opinions or strained relations).

The fact that there were no obvious reasons for it (decent ratings and seemingly a large popular appeal) and the BBC seem unable to give a clear rationale for it does make you wonder. Interesting that there are now 'BBC producers' apparently questioning it too.