What are you drinking? Page 175

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th March 2024, 3:22 PM

I've never tried Landlord and it sounds very tasty but I don't think there's anything that could compare to a Dublin Guinness.

It must be a freshness thing. Our Guinness is brewed in Dublin, but it has to make its way here on ships and trucks, and I'm sure it languishes in a few warehouses along the way. I just deciphered the date on a can in my fridge: November 5th, 2023.

I've brewed a few recipes provided by commercial brewers, and then done a blind comparison with the help of a few friends. They always prefer my beer to the real thing, and I'm certain that it's down to freshness.

Quote: DaButt @ 18th March 2024, 3:58 PM

It must be a freshness thing. Our Guinness is brewed in Dublin, but it has to make its way here on ships and trucks, and I'm sure it languishes in a few warehouses along the way. I just deciphered the date on a can in my fridge: November 5th, 2023.

I've brewed a few recipes provided by commercial brewers, and then done a blind comparison with the help of a few friends. They always prefer my beer to the real thing, and I'm certain that it's down to freshness.

Proper Guinness, from the keg, goes off dead fast.
Personally I think it tastes like iron fillings and it gives me a stinking headache.
But when in Dublin....

I have a concoction I make myself.
I have a large Stein glass that takes well over 1 litre. I put 2 cans of draught Boddingtons in then a can of Mackeson.
It makes a beautiful dark brown ale.
I find a good whisky or two compliments it.

Timothy Taylor's Landlord Ale you talking about? I have no idea why it's so popular (it was Madonna's favourite beer while here) or won the awards it has for best ale. Far too sweet for me, very malty, which of course makes it sweet, although I'm not sure whether it's less sweet on draught, as I tend to stick to beers I know when out. It's obviously a personal taste thing but give me an IPA over that any day for a drinkable pint or two when out.

Don't know Edinburgh well other than McKewan's is an Edinburgh brewery so that'll be fresh at the pumps and their Champion Ale is another malty beer if you like TT's Landlord. Most Scottish ale I've had tends to be quite dark in colour, getting on for a porter type, which is very sweet, as is stout.

Quote: DaButt @ 17th March 2024, 5:20 PM

I had a Guinness 0.0 a few weeks ago and it was very good. If I ever give up beer, it'll be my go-to.

But since I have no intention of giving up beer anytime soon, a question:

And why would you, as a white American, you are basically of European ancestry and beer will be in your blood, as we drank it for centuries instead of water for obvious reasons. Have you traced your family line, as it may be your taste for ale and stout over lager suggests a British/Irish heritage over continental European?

It has often been stated that the strong Germanic blood line of white Americans is the reason behind your country's long held preference for lager.

😬Spits on mentioning either, although I do occasionally like a cold one with a hot curry, a lager not a German. spits again.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th March 2024, 5:08 PM

Timothy Taylor's Landlord Ale you talking about? I have no idea why it's so popular (it was Madonna's favourite beer while here) or won the awards it has for best ale. Far too sweet for me, very malty, which of course makes it sweet, although I'm not sure whether it's less sweet on draught, as I tend to stick to beers I know when out. It's obviously a personal taste thing but give me an IPA over that any day for a drinkable pint or two when out.

I've only had it on cask while visiting the UK, and it's always been sublime. I don't remember it as being overly malty, but it's been 10 years since my last pint, so I'll try to judge it carefully in two weeks. We don't have much access to cask ales here, so there's a certain amount of love and nostalgia that I'll attach to that style when I visit the UK. I love beers of every style, but I'll concentrate on cask ale when I'm there. I'll try everything that I can get my hands on: bitter, IPA, mild, porter, or whatever. I'm a huge fan of British beer in general. British pub culture is probably the best thing that your nation/empire has offered to the rest of the world. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th March 2024, 5:08 PM

And why would you, as a white American, you are basically of European ancestry and beer will be in your blood, as we drank it for centuries instead of water for obvious reasons. Have you traced your family line, as it may be your taste for ale and stout over lager suggests a British/Irish heritage over continental European?

According to my DNA report:

43% England (my paternal line came here from England in 1670, and my maternal line did so even earlier)
19% Eastern Europe and Russia (my father's mother's parents came from Prague circa 1870)
18% Sweden & Denmark (no idea)
10% Germanic Europe (my mother's birth father was of Germanic heritage)
6% Ireland (no idea)
3% Scotland (no idea)
1% Wales (no idea)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th March 2024, 5:27 PM

It has often been stated that the strong Germanic blood line of white Americans is the reason behind your country's long held preference for lager.

😬Spits on mentioning either, although I do occasionally like a cold one with a hot curry, a lager not a German. spits again.

I think the western world in general has drifted toward lager over the last century. It's not my favorite to drink, and it's a pain in the ass to brew, but the lagers and pilsners that I've had in Germany and Czechia have been superb.

I just set my alarm for 6 AM tomorrow so that I can brew 10 gallons of a Landlord clone in the morning before I go to work. It's as good as the real thing, but don't tell the people in Keighley. ;)

I forgot to mention my other favorite UK beer: Harvey's Sussex Best. I don't think I can get it in Edinburgh, but I might try to get some shipped to a beer shop while I'm there.

Edinburgh is a pretty 'hip' place.
You'll find a lot of the new craft ales (of which I am now tiring - Brew Dog are a Scottish brewery) but not so many traditional bitters on tap.

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th March 2024, 9:31 AM

You'll find a lot of the new craft ales (of which I am now tiring - Brew Dog are a Scottish brewery) but not so many traditional bitters on tap.

Brew Dog have never wowed me. I'll be happy to try craft beers as long as they aren't the same old American styles that I can find at every brewery in the States.

Quote: DaButt @ 19th March 2024, 4:14 PM

Brew Dog have never wowed me. I'll be happy to try craft beers as long as they aren't the same old American styles that I can find at every brewery in the States.

Don't hold your breathe.
If I'd wanted a mango I'd have ordered a mango.

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th March 2024, 4:20 PM

Don't hold your breathe.
If I'd wanted a mango I'd have ordered a mango.

Yeah, I'll steer clear of the hazy New England IPAs.

Just started pumping 10 gallons of my Landlord clone into the fermenter. It's very dark, for some reason. I either weighed something incorrectly, or the crystal malt was mislabeled. It'll still taste great, I'm sure.