BSG Meetup Page 80

Totally understand Jude, but your smile will be missed! *hugs*

Quote: EllieJP @ September 2 2008, 10:17 AM BST

I'm hoping we find out soon, else I'll just be getting you all round mine for some good ol' comedic fun!

Kinky!

Sadly, the meet-up is definitely happening... so we'll have to come in your gaff another time Ellie.

Hopefully Aaron will have details on the venue etc soon (he's organising it all, so I haven't got any details, sorry). I appreciate it's getting close to Saturday and the lack of an announcement is a bit jitter-inducing, but just to clarify: we'll definitely all be meeting up. Absolute worse case scenario is we use our geek powers to clear an area in a bar somewhere but, like I say, Aaron has hopefully got a private room booked some place and will fill us all in on where it is soon...

Quote: Jude @ September 2 2008, 10:55 AM BST

Sadly I'll have to give this one a miss as my dog Sam died yesterday.

But I'll come to future ones.

Yikes. Sorry about that. :( Next time!

Right. Venue. We're going to be at The Admiral Hardy in Greenwich (uninformative website). The company that owns the place have been juuuust a bit slow, hence my not having said anything. (Of course, saying it now will almost certainly jinx it, knowing my luck.) I need to talk to them again today to confirm the time, but we should be in a private room (with its own entrance onto Greenwich Market), and I'm intending on being there from about 6pm. They close at 1am, so people are welcome to leave whenever they wish.

There are numerous buses which run through the area, with stops just opposite the pub itself. There is also a mainline station about 5 minutes walk away, and the Cutty Sark DLR station is about 1 minute down the road.

I know that some of you will be planning on driving, so I've made sure that there's a large (underground) car park just across the road. Unlike Central London, you'll also find that the roads are free-flowing. And in case anyone's worried, the congestion charge does NOT operate on weekends, and it's outside the zone anyway.

On public transport, things have become a little more complex than when I started planning. The DLR is having 'improvement' works done, so although the station is still fully accessible, the journey may take a bit longer than it usually would. Annoyingly, they've announced that the Jubilee line through Canary Wharf will also be closed for engineering work, so the journey is slightly longer that way too. >_<

To get to Cutty Sark station from Central London, head to Bank-Monument station (Central, Circle, District, Nortern, and Waterloo & City lines). Then catch the DLR towards Canary Wharf, Crossharbour, or Island Gardens (the latter is easiest). Stay on for the length of the ride and change for the next south-bound train where necessary. Cutty Sark station is in both zones 2 and 3. The cheaper ticket will apply, depending on which direction you are coming from.

If people want to be in the area earlier during the day, then there's the Greenwich Wheel, the National Maritime Museum, the Cutty Sark, Greenwich Park and Royal Observatory, and the grounds of the Old Royal Naval College. If anyone wants or needs to meet earlier in the day, either in Central London or Greenwich, I'll be around so let me know.

Google Maps of the area.

The Admiral Hardy is circled at top-centre of this satellite image.

I think that's about it. Questions?

Quote: Aaron @ September 2 2008, 11:45 AM BST

I need to talk to them again today to confirm the time, but we should be in a private room (with its own entrance onto Greenwich Market), and I'm intending on being there from about 6pm. They close at 1am, so people are welcome to leave whenever they wish.

I'm going to need a better lie for my parents.

At least it's close to your house... it's 2 hours from me thanks to stupid transport.

Quote: PhQnix @ September 2 2008, 11:48 AM BST

You have a gf you're meeting?

I might walk... it'd be quicker.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 2 2008, 11:50 AM BST

You have a gf you're meeting?

I'd get less questions if I said I was going to meet a bunch of people from the internet. :P

I'll speak to people and see what I can arrange.

Drivin!!!!! Of I'll bring the Gav-Copter

Quote: PhQnix @ September 2 2008, 11:48 AM BST

What lie were you going for?

Quote: EllieJP @ September 2 2008, 11:50 AM BST

At least it's close to your house... it's 2 hours from me thanks to stupid transport.

Everywhere in London is close for someone and a long time for someone else. Yes, it's (relatively) close to my house, but I didn't know I was going to be living here when I started planning. It's just an area I'm familiar with that isn't very busy.

Quote: Gavin @ September 2 2008, 11:54 AM BST

Drivin!!!!! Of I'll bring the Gav-Copter

Plenty of places to touch down! :D

Quote: Aaron @ September 2 2008, 11:56 AM BST

Everywhere in London is close for someone and a long time for someone else. Yes, it's (relatively) close to my house, but I didn't know I was going to be living here when I started planning. It's just an area I'm familiar with that isn't very busy.

Good for you.

Quote: Aaron @ September 2 2008, 11:55 AM BST

What lie were you going for?

I was just going to say I was seeing friends in London. That's my catch-all excuse and a lie that has served me well in the past. Unfortunately being the weak-willed grammar school boy that I am I'm normally home before 6.

I might have to say I'm at a party, though my parents might not believe me. :P

Quote: EllieJP @ September 2 2008, 11:57 AM BST

Good for you.

Aw, poor little Ellie's getting moody because she has to travel. :)

Quote: PhQnix @ September 2 2008, 11:58 AM BST

I was just going to say I was seeing friends in London. That's my catch-all excuse and a lie that has served me well in the past. Unfortunately being the weak-willed grammar school boy that I am I'm normally home before 6.

I might have to say I'm at a party, though my parents might not believe me. :P

Haha! You could say you're in London, then phone at 5 and say you decided to go to the cinema? And erm ... A meal? Or something? :/

Don't worry Ellie I'll come pick you up :D vroooom vroooooom

Oh, I should also have mentioned that their website suggests that some discounts are available for NUS card holders.

I'm contemplating driving now... I'm not travelling for 2 hours on 4 different buses.

Quote: Aaron @ September 2 2008, 12:00 PM BST

Haha! You could say you're in London, then phone at 5 and say you decided to go to the cinema? And erm ... A meal? Or something? :/

I will try to restrain "OI OI'ing" although its kinda the law when you see someone on the phone in a pub.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 2 2008, 12:01 PM BST

I'm contemplating driving now... I'm not travelling for 2 hours on 4 different buses.

yeh 2 hours. Unimpressed Unimpressed

I gotta travel 3 and a half before I'm even in London!