Tonightly

Did anyone else see this new topical show hosted by Jason Manford?

If so, what did you think?

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet - but the snippet I saw did not look promising at all. Manford seems the wrong man for the job; someone like J Ross would have delivered the lines I saw (the British gas bit) with a lot more bite.

I forgot to watch.

Although he's a nice person, and does quite well on 8 out of 10 cats, he does still seem like Peter Kaye Lite to me.

I saw about 10 minutes of this. It was very weak and lightweight.

The man presenting it didn't have enough presence to hold it together either.

I'll try it again next time it's on (tomorrow? Monday?), but put it on mute after a few minutes. Some amusing remarks, but ultimately what I'd already seen on Mock The Week etc. And those previews of the comedy interviews coming up later in the programme just seemed painful. Could bare to watch, basically.

I saw most of it. It had it's moments but they were few in number. Jason and the rest of the gang just couldn't carry it off very well at all. Seemed very choppy and didn't flow. Much like my grammar. Shame really because I really like Jason on other shows and I love what I've seen of his stand-up.

Did I hear wrongly or is it on every week day for 3 weeks??

It's going to be a bumpy ride if it is.

I thought that there were moments, such as that roving reporter (whose name I forget). But most of it I thought to be weak. I can remember seeing those exam results in an episode of Have I Got News For You. Maybe it will pick up pace in the next few days.

I said it in the 'What are you watching on TV' thread but I'll say it again. Blatant rip-off of BBC Four's The Late Edition. Only less funny (and that's not easy). Enjoyed some of the ginger haired kiddies stuff though.

I read the publicity about this and it sounded a really good thing for up-and-coming writers and performers, as it is apparently using lots of people with little experience. Unfortunately it was very weak and not remotely satirical. But I'm not the target audience. It's clearly aimed at the post-Big Brother viewer. So if you like that ...

Good though to see Nat Tapley from Treason Show as the M.P. holding the fort at Westminster during the summer recess. He's a Treason Show regular and a very good actor. I'd say he gets better material at Treason, but he gave glimpses of the out of control character he plays so well there.

I only saw the second half, but I thought it was painfully bad. That Manford bloke seems to have a lot more confidence, than he has talent. I've never been a fan of topical comedy shows, as there's only so much the writers of such shows can write about, i.e. that day's/week's news. I'd much rather watch a show, that allowed new comedians to use their best general comedy material, than one that forced them to only use stuff they've rustled up a few hours before it's broadcast.

It wasn't very good.

I am watching this now and I am embarrassed on their behalf.

Ha! :D

Quote: Aaron @ August 4 2008, 11:17 PM BST

Ha! :D

It's not funny, Aaron.

I wasn't impressed enough on Friday to even bother tuning in tonight. And I will watch anything.

I actually find the 'News at Ten' more funny then this; the 'And finally...' bit gets me every time.