Paul Merton in Galton & Simpson's...

Anybody watched this series. I've just ordered the DVD. Is it any good?

From what I can remember it was an interesting experiment that didn't quite come off. You could never shake Hancock from your mind while watching them. I'd be interested to see them again, though. How many episodes in the series? Six?

I think that if he's just done G&S Comedy Playhouse scripts it would've worked a lot better. If I remember rightly it was a rough 50-50 split between Hancock and others. Maybe if he'd just done one as a tribute it may have been stronger.

Yes, I've never seen it myself, but everything I've read of it says the same: good idea, but just didn't work.

The episode Impasse was good but as I say, it wasn't Hancock.

http://www.britishcomedy.co.uk/comedy/merton.html

Yes, episodes tended to split from Hancock episodes to less remembered Galton and Simpson episodes from different series. The Hancock ones weren't well recieved as Paul had the task of being Hancock, but he wasn't able to pull it off, but could anybody. The episodes that got alot of critical acclaime were the ones that hardly anybody remembers, but were classics. Anyway, these were the episodes:
Series 1

Twelve Angry Men: Originally from an episode of Hancock's Half Hour, 1959. The HHH episode I've seen and is absolutely genius

Impasse: Originally from a Comedy Playhouse pilot in 1963 starring Bernard Cribbins. Simon Nye used the idea of this half hour sitcom in his sitcom The Last Salute.

The Radio Ham- Originally from an episode of 'Hancock' his single BBC series of 1961 which showed his finest half hour- The Blood Donor

Sealed with a Loving Kiss- Originally from an episode of Comedy Playhouse from 1962 starring Ronald Frazer. Later used in a Comedy Playhouse type series called The Mating Machine starring Norman Rossington which was made in 1970

The Missing Page- Originally from a 1960 episode of Hancocks Half Hour

Don't Dilly Dally on the Way- From an episode of the 1969 ITV series Galton & Simpson comedy starring Jimmy Edwards

The Lift- From the solo 1961 series 'Hancock' where one of the shows instalments was 'The Blood Donor'

The Bedsitter- Originally from the opening episode of the classic 1961 series Hancock.

Series 2
The Clerical Error- From a 1975 episode of 'Dawson's Weekly' starring Les Dawson

The Wrong Man- From an episode of Hancock's Half Hour

I tell you It's Burt Reynolds- From a 1977 episode of 'The Galton and Simpson Playhouse' starring Leonard Rossiter.

Visiting Day- From an episode of Comedy Playhouse starring Bernard Cribbins

The Suit- From an episode of 'The Galton and Simpson Comedy' starring Leslie Phillips and Bill Oddie.

Being of Sound Mind- From an episode of 'Dawson's Weekly' starring Les Dawson.

Looks interesting, the Hancock episodes not as good as the lesser known ones. Would love to see the original shows of these, if they are in the archives.

Stop Press- Just found one more.
Lunch in the Park- a 1961 episode of Comedy Playhouse starring Stanley Baxter.

Would I surprise anyone if I said I had this set? :) Even so, I taped them off the telly on to steam-driven video at the time. As people have said already, the burden of playing the Hancock character was far too much for Merton but Impasse & The Clerical Error were quite decent. Impasse also features in the film The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins if anyone is interested?!

If it had Poul Merton in it was probably funny :)

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 19 2008, 3:52 PM BST

Y

Impasse: Originally from a Comedy Playhouse pilot in 1963 starring Bernard Cribbins. Simon Nye used the idea of this half hour sitcom in his sitcom The Last Salute.

If this is the one I am thinking of, wasn't it from the Pride segment of the portmanteau film, The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins, starring Ian Carmichael and Alfie Bass?

Yes it was and that's why I mentioned it 3 posts ago - although not in such detail as your good self ;)

Quote: Charly @ June 19 2008, 5:17 PM BST

If it had Poul Merton in it was probably funny :)

Who's Poul Merton then?

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 19 2008, 6:41 PM BST

Who's Poul Merton then?

:O
Again, :O

He's taking the piss out of your spelling.

Yes. I can be quite a sarky one at times.

Still not arrived, ordered it one week ago today.