Paul Merton in Galton & Simpson's... Page 3

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 26 2008, 2:18 PM BST

Still not arrived, ordered it one week ago today.

It's a comedic pause.

I wrote a review of it on Amazon.co.uk

Here it is:

Paul Merton in his own sitcom sounds like a good idea. The natural successor to Hancock? Maybe Merton is better as he has a natural ready wit - as exemplified in Have I Got News for You. Putting him in a series remaking Garlton and Simpson scripts sounds like a good idea. Ironically, the scripts have dated a bit. The general consensus was that the series wasn't that good because Paul Merton couldn't act. That's not entirely fair, however. He can act - or at least say the lines and raise a laugh. One of the problems, however, is that because one week he is adopting Hancock's persona to fit in with that episode, and then Les Dawson's and then Leonard Rossiter's - he doesn't get the chance to bed into any one character. We don't know who or what he is. Hancock was like this, his occupation and aims in life changing weekly, but his persona remained the same. I think Merton is mostly Hancock here, whether he's in a Hancock remake or not. They even share the same "Innit Marvellous" catchphrase. (Note, in The Bedsitter, there is a trilby and black overcoat on the hook) Maybe if the characters in the scripts worked round Merton rather than Merton working round them, it would have worked. But I think the main problem here is the writing. Yes, I know it's written by Garlton and Simpson but judging by episodes like "Being of Sound Mind", "Lunch in the Park" and "Visiting Day" they simply aren't that good. Yes, there's a clever line every now and then, but I wouldn't describe their talent as "legendary". It's the writing that makes it fall a bit flat. Maybe it would have been more innovative and successful if Paul Merton had been given his own original sitcom to showcase his undeniably comic talent.

Impasse - One I've never seen before. Two drivers (Merton and Geoffrey Whitehead) are stuck in a country lane and refuse to drive off. A few laughs are to be had, but not many, but it's good to see Sam Kelly again, along with Dennis Lil and Roger Lloyd Pack.

The Radio Ham - Enjoyable.

Sealed With a Loving Kiss - In parts enjoyable, but maybe not worth bothering with.

The Missing Page - Merton's then wife Caroline Quentin plays the Sid James part and doesn't really do it justice. Like I said earlier, only Sid James can play Sid James. The part was written for him, after all.

Don't Dilly Dally On the Way - A moving house episode. Gwyneth Strong (Cassandra in Only Fools ... ) can't act for toffee and spoils it. In fact, I couldn't even finish watching it she was that bad.

The Lift - Good, if a little tired by the end. The whole episode is set outside and inside a lift at the BBC. Michael Fenton-Stevens makes a welcome return as a charismatic producer and is excellent; Sam Kelly and Geoffrey Whitehead are also good.

The Bedsitter - There's predictability with something like this. Like the "Visiting Day" episode later on and "The Lift" and many more episodes, you know we're not going to venture out of the one room. Merton is the only actor in this episode and does a fine job, but it's not particularly groundbreaking as we've seen Hancock handle a single-scene, one-man show too, and by this time, Victor Meldrew did it definitively. So we know it can be done and isn't different. He pulls it off, though, and it's enjoyable enough.

The Clerical Error - Mediocre. Begins a trend of silly episodes.

The Wrong Man - Starts off well, particularly with the appearance of Roger Lloyd-Pack, but again turns unbearably silly and cringe worthy. Paul is forced to join a police line up to fill up the numbers, and the witness says that he's the one who burgled her shop. Another witness says likewise without giving him a second glance, but the third, in an incredibly cringe worthy moment, barely walks through the door when he points at Paul and insists he did it.

I Tell You It's Burt Reynolds - Nigel Planer guests in this episode. Merton doesn't bring the same energy to the role as Leonard Rossiter did, preferring to be more laid-back - maybe a deliberate move. Not amusing and worthy skipping.

Visiting Day - Couldn't even get through this one. It's another single-scene episode, this time tired and uninspired. Should have seen the writing on the wall when Brian Murphy walked in. He doesn't speak much and keeps trying to get up from his chair but Lynda Barron pushes him down again. This happens about six times in four minutes.

The Suite - Another silly episode. Worth skipping. Paul plays a rich philanderer - note, not the same "Paul" as in the other episodes - who loses his trousers while sleeping at his girlfriend's place. A burglar visited in the night and took his clothes, along with his watch and his girlfriend's ring - the one she was wearing! Far fetched? I needed binoculars.

Being of Sound Mind - Very bad indeed. Sam Kelly plays gay and ends up back at Paul's flat where they look like they're nearly kissing. Isn't worth watching.

Lunch in the Park - Paul and Josie Lawrence have been meeting on the same park bench for years. It's too boring for words. I saw three and a half minutes and gave up on it. Paul had turned more whet than mackerel, telling her how worried she was that she was two minutes late, and she replies that she was late because she had gone shopping to the butchers. He replies that he understands but was still worried. She says she was really late because she had gone to the butchers late ... because she had left work late. I can't tell you what happened next. I had turned it off.

Just read through your Amazon comments Dave. Liked your title for 'After You've Gone'- 'After Del's Gone'

Thanks.

It was quite witty that.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 22 2008, 12:55 PM BST

Just read through your Amazon comments Dave. Liked your title for 'After You've Gone'- 'After Del's Gone'

Sorry, I know I've had a Stella or two but where is that in the review?

Each review has a title above it.

Now, this, for some reason is starting to get to me !

Where is it? Not that I care one jot from a knowledge point of view merely to satisfy an irritation. I've read the review on Amazon and this one again and still can't see it.

But I must say that according to this and the other reviews the Amazon price of £8.98 is about £8 overpriced.

Angry

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3321274/-/Product.html]
[h=632410]

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 22 2008, 11:39 PM BST

Now, this, for some reason is starting to get to me !

Where is it? Not that I care one jot from a knowledge point of view merely to satisfy an irritation. I've read the review on Amazon and this one again and still can't see it.

Sigh. It is NOT in the review. It is the review's TITLE. Look at the star rating at the top of the review, then look sliiiightly to the right of the star image, and there's bold text.

Now look. I'm off to bed presently but this is a copy and paste of the Amazon review, All that's missing is the two star rating.

And here's the link . . . http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000PC1N22/comedyguide-21/

*snipped by Aaron*

I've cut out the review as it has already been posted.

I'm not sure why you're still looking there though, but it explains why you're getting confused - the discussion referred to David's After You've Gone review.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2008, 12:44 AM BST

I've cut out the review as it has already been posted.

I'm not sure why you're still looking there though, but it explains why you're getting confused - the discussion referred to David's After You've Gone review.

Well that explains it ! I've been waiting for two one legged twins to turn up!

Changing thread in midstream could confuse a stupid person!

Watch it, watch it !

Well, that explains it all now. Harry Zimmerman eh?

Thanks Sid (Aaron), Harry Zimmerman.

Goodnight.

Sorted then, swish! :)

Quote: Aaron @ July 19 2008, 10:51 AM BST

Hey, football out of this forum please. Don't reply to that David, or I'll have to spank you again.

Who mentioned football?