Top British comedy actors by decade? Page 4

I was trying to avoid the cliché. :D

I go along with Ronnie Barker, David Jason, Rowan Atkinson, but there's a distinct lack of women, here, chaps!

60s - Joyce Grenfall

70s - Yootha Joyce / Hilda Baker / Penelope Keith / Felicity Kendall/ Wendy Craig / Barbara Windsor

80s - Thora Hird (Not just the 80s, though), Tracey Ullman

90s - Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Victoria Wood, Julie Walters, Jane Horrocks, Brenda Blethryn

00s - Sheridan Smith, Joanna Page, Ruth Jones

I'm sure I can think of more if I tried...

What do you mean by Thora Hird (ongoing)?

Sorry, just seen that error, myself. I mean she is timeless spanning the decades. Edited it now.

Well she was a big star in the 60's with Meet the Wife

I definitely agree with Jennifer Saunders.

Remember, we're not doing comedy performers per se, (are we?) more specifically acting. So I'm not sure that Barbara Windsor should be there...

(no offence, Babs.) ;)

Comedy actors by decade is the title of the thread, pickle

Don't pickle me! :)

I mean, are we listing people who happen to act. Or people we think are particularly amazing actors.

I mean, Mickey from Eastenders is technically an 'actor'...

Excuse me... Barbara Windsor had a life before Eastenders. She always had a big part, well part of her did, in a lot of the Carry On films. Come to think of it, other soap stars did Carry On: Amanda Barrie and Wendy Richards, not forgetting Wendy as Miss Brahms, of course.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 2:41 PM BST

I definitely agree with Jennifer Saunders.

Remember, we're not doing comedy performers per se, (are we?) more specifically acting. So I'm not sure that Barbara Windsor should be there...

I think you've got it the wrong way around, zooo. Barbara's a definite, but Saunders is arguable.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 2:50 PM BST

I mean, are we listing people who happen to act. Or people we think are particularly amazing actors.

Yep, but not all actors can do comedy and not all comedians can act. Barbara could carry off a giggle that's for sure.

Which reminds me. Has anyone mentioned Norman Wisdom? Now he's a legend, in my book, and very sexy too!

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 3:05 PM BST

I think you've got it the wrong way around, zooo. Barbara's a definite, but Saunders is arguable.

What about "Ab Fab" and I'm sure she's done other comedy, possibly before she teamed up with Dawn French.

June Whitfield never made your list of comedy actresses and she's infinitely better than Barbara Windsor. IMO

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 3:11 PM BST

June Whitfield never made your list of comedy actresses and she's infinitely better than Barbara Windsor. IMO

Yep, you can add June to my list. I did say I could go on, but the mind only works so fast.

I used to like Peggy Mount as well - especially in George and the Dragon with yer actual Sir Sidney of Jamestown

Patricia Hayes - a superb actress, whether playing comedy or drama

Liz Smith in I Didn't Know You Cared

Judi Dench in As Time Goes By

Stephanie Cole in Waiting for God

Quote: JJ Cocker @ June 21 2008, 3:03 PM BST

Excuse me... Barbara Windsor had a life before Eastenders. She always had a big part, well part of her did, in a lot of the Carry On films. Come to think of it, other soap stars did Carry On: Amanda Barrie and Wendy Richards, not forgetting Wendy as Miss Brahms, of course.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, honest!
I haven't seen her in much to be fair, maybe she's a better actor than I think.