Top British comedy actors by decade? Page 7

I know, that's why I said stupid, and Doh.

I know and that's why I expanded on them ;)

I know and...!

Oh bugger.

Other than Tony Hancock, are there any more comedy suicides?

This man is a walking quiz question

Kenneth Williams

Well beyond an overdose, Kenny was never proven, to be fair.

Yes but the coroner said it could have been an accident but most unlikely

Correct - but recorded an open verdict, IIRC. Ergo, not proven.

did he die in Scotland then?

1950s: Spike Milligan
1960s: Peter Cook
1970s: Ronnie Barker
1980s: Rowan Atkinson/Hugh Laurie
1990s: Steve Coogan
2000s: Dylan Moran

Quote: Jackson Neil @ March 4 2009, 3:11 PM GMT

1950s: Spike Milligan

Interesting. Not sure I'd say he was a great actor in terms of range. Although I'd guess you're thinking of The Goon Show, which was certainly some mightily impressive work.

2000s would be a tie between Gervais and Mark Heap for me.

Quote: chipolata @ June 23 2008, 10:29 AM GMT

I agree about Babs. She's nauseating. Even the name sets my teeth on edge. I'd rather Bernard Breslaw in lipstick and and a baby doll nightdress. The only Carry On woman I fancied was Fenella Fielding.

Valerie Leon for me!

Quote: Aaron @ June 19 2008, 12:54 PM GMT

Howerd* Whistling nnocently

A true great, but never did much acting beyond Up Pompeii! - which even then was basically him, in his stand up persona and style, just telling a story rather than any acting as such.

He managed to hide his homosexuality from the world until after his death - that's quite an act to pull off!

Shirley Eaton! Shirley Eaton!

So good, I did her twice!

Quote: JuliaC @ June 21 2008, 4:19 PM GMT

The Carry Ons had a good cast of comedy ladies: Joan, Liz and Hattie already mentioned but also Dilys Laye, Patsy Rowlands, Angela Douglas and Esma Cannon good in their respective roles.

I never did like the way though that Joan started out as the young attractive bit of fluff (...Teacher) and was made to turn into the boring wife role (...Camping) in favour of Babs.

Poor old Joanie. The BEST as far as I'm concerned - utterly sublime in Up The Khyber...

As for her changing roles as time went by, that was to do with a fondness for drinky-drinky I think. She lost the lead role in Nurse On Wheels as she was already getting a bit bigger, a bit less able to play the fresh faced girl. And such a desperately sad end too....

Babs can't act. Never could. 'Enders just highlights it. She can do comedy though - I remember one Mitchell dinner where Peggy was drunk and she did that very well. But pre-'Enders she just did her 'persona' like Sid and KW etc. Out of all of the Carry On team I rate Joan Sims highest as she was the most versatile, the best range of parts/voices etc. Look at her in Carry On Doctor: genius! "For years I was troubled with loss of hearing, the doctors could do nothing for me..."

Alastair Sim was wonderful. Very good in School For Scoundrels. And I can't believe nobody has mentioned John Le Mesurier! He's possibly the best there has ever been!