Top British comedy actors by decade? Page 5

Quote: JJ Cocker @ June 21 2008, 3:10 PM BST

What about "Ab Fab" and I'm sure she's done other comedy, possibly before she teamed up with Dawn French.

Ab Fab? Point proven. :P

Noooooo!

Ab Fab = ace.

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 3:17 PM BST

I used to like Peggy Mount as well - especially in George and the Dragon with yer actual Sir Sidney of Jamestown

Now that was a good sitcom. And a good character too.

And since we seem to now just be listing good performances, Lynda Baron as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 3:32 PM BST

Noooooo!

Ab Fab = ace.

Did it start better than it ended?

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 3:22 PM BST

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, honest!
I haven't seen her in much to be fair, maybe she's a better actor than I think.

No worries, I can't be offended that easy.

Unfortunately, Babs may seem to fall into the category that most blokes would say it didn't matter about her acting ability as long as she flashed her knockers. What made her good at comedy was her giggle, wicked sense of humour and a twinkle in her eyes, when she's naughty.

Yep, go along with Peggy Mount and Lynda Barron, too.

Quote: JJ Cocker @ June 21 2008, 3:41 PM BST

Unfortunately, Babs may seem to fall into the category that most blokes would say it didn't matter about her acting ability as long as she flashed her knockers.

LOL.

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 3:38 PM BST

Did it start better than it ended?

Yes, definitely.
Miles better.

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 3:11 PM BST

June Whitfield never made your list of comedy actresses and she's infinitely better than Barbara Windsor. IMO

Had never really registered what a good comedy actress Barbara Windsor was until I saw her in an old B&W episode of Dad's Army.

But of the Carry On actresses Hattie Jaques was the most talented.

Barbara Windsor makes me reach for the remote control no matter what she is in. I never understood the fascination with her physique either - there were much more attractive women in Carry On films - Liz Fraser for one.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 3:45 PM BST

Yes, definitely.
Miles better.

Ok, I shall purchase series one.

Quote: Timbo @ June 21 2008, 3:46 PM BST

But of the Carry On actresses Hattie Jaques was the most talented.

Closely followed by Joanie.

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 4:17 PM BST

Ok, I shall purchase series one.

Yay!

Did you ever see Teachers?

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 4:02 PM BST

Barbara Windsor makes me reach for the remote control no matter what she is in. I never understood the fascination with her physique either - there were much more attractive women in Carry On films - Liz Fraser for one.

I think it was just because of how small she was (and indeed is) in general stature. Maybe.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2008, 4:18 PM BST

Yay!

Did you ever see Teachers?

I bought the complete box set, but haven't got around to watching it yet.

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 4:24 PM BST

I think it was just because of how small she was (and indeed is) in general stature. Maybe.

Glad you mentioned the stature, bit.
Whistling nnocently

Yep, and more great ladies of comedy getting an airing here.

The Carry Ons had a good cast of comedy ladies: Joan, Liz and Hattie already mentioned but also Dilys Laye, Patsy Rowlands, Angela Douglas and Esma Cannon good in their respective roles.

I never did like the way though that Joan started out as the young attractive bit of fluff (...Teacher) and was made to turn into the boring wife role (...Camping) in favour of Babs.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Lance Percival yet.

Well Lance Percival was certainly a decent comedy performer but I wouldn't class him as a top comedy actor?