Top British comedy actors by decade?

Which actors/actresses do you think were the finest in a particular decade? They can either be from film, TV or radio. Here's mine, although I'll probably have changed my mind in ten minutes:

50s - Tony Hancock
60s - Peter Sellars
70s - Ronnie Barker
80s - Rowan Atkinson
90s - Steve Coogan
00s - Ricky Gervais (I know he's a bit of a one trick pony, but what a trick)

As true as it is, don't let zooo read the last one.

Anyway, I'm going to nominate Sid James for the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Quote: Aaron @ June 19 2008, 11:11 AM BST

As true as it is, don't let zooo read the last one.

Anyway, I'm going to nominate Sid James for the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I may be wrong (although it's never happened before), but isn't Sid James South African?

Sid James came to England when he was forty I believe. From South Afrcia yes.

Great laugh.

Aye, that he was.

Quote: Marc P @ June 19 2008, 11:15 AM BST

Sid James came to England when he was forty I believe. From South Afrcia yes.

Great laugh.

Great walnut face as well.

Don't know much about 50s and 60s, but from 70s onwards I would have pretty much the same.

Actually, a few small changes:

70s - Ronnie Barker
80s - Rowan Atkinson
90s - Rik Mayall (Bottom)
00s - Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge)

Steve Coogan could go in the 90s but I'll slot him into the noughties so I can have Rik Mayall in my list :)

50s - Tony Hancock/Terry-Thomas
60s - Peter Sellers
70s - Ronnie Barker/Leonard Rossiter
80s - Rowan Atkinson
90s - David Jason
00s - Ricky Gervais

Let us not forget Stan Laurel, Charlie Chaplin and Bob Hope meanwhile.

Alistair Simm.

Quote: Alan C @ June 19 2008, 11:58 AM BST

50s - Tony Hancock/Terry-Thomas
60s - Peter Sellers
70s - Ronnie Barker/Leonard Rossiter
80s - Rowan Atkinson
90s - David Jason
00s - Ricky Gervais

I'm glad you mentioned Terry-Thomas, he was great. And such a shame the way he died. I would have also liked to mention the mighty Alistair Sim. Possibly in a 40's slot, since Green for Danger came out in about 1946.

Yes Alistair Sim would have made my 50's list as well but I thought it would have been too much having 3

1950's British comedies really make me smile as soon as the opening credits role - The Green Man, School for Scoundrels - superb stuff

Two more actors who need mentioning. Margeret Rutherford, who had a face for comedy and was easily the best Miss Marple there's ever been. And Alec Guiness, who starred in a number of seminal comedy films, including The Lavender Hill Mob, The Lady Killers and Kind Hearts and Coronets. Timeless classics, every one.

I love Alec Guinness films but he never made me laugh for some reason. The quintissential straight man I suppose. Great actor - but Frankie Howard always made me laugh without quite being a great actor.

Howerd* Whistling nnocently

A true great, but never did much acting beyond Up Pompeii! - which even then was basically him, in his stand up persona and style, just telling a story rather than any acting as such.

And I agree Margaret Rutherford - genius.

And I forgot to mention as we're going back in time... - Will Hay.

And perhaps overlooked although he was a top, probably our top comedy actor Cary Grant. Then David Niven after him..