Top British comedy actors by decade? Page 2

Peter Sellers too.

Quote: Aaron @ June 19 2008, 1:54 PM BST

Howerd* Whistling nnocently

A true great, but never did much acting beyond Up Pompeii!, which was basically him, in his stand up persona and style, just telling a story rather than any acting as such.

Mister Bigger (?) wasn't it, in Carry on Doctor? But yes, exactly the same character and I vaguely remember a black and white film when he was younger - something to do with horse racing??

Ian Carmichael should also get a mention. Not as flashy as some of the others discussed, but still a mighty talent. Still alive as well.

Quote: Marc P @ June 19 2008, 1:56 PM BST

Mister Bigger (?) wasn't it, in Carry on Doctor? But yes, exactly the same character and I vaguely remember a black and white film when he was younger - something to do with horse racing??

Francis Bigger, yes. But it was such a miniscule role!

I suppose I'm forgetting about the films he did... *strokes chin* Well, he's still brilliant, actor or not.

50's- Tony Hancock
60's- Harry H Corbett
70's- Arthur Lowe
80's- David Jason
90's- Richard Wilson
00's- Richard Ayoade

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 19 2008, 2:05 PM BST

00's- Richard Ayoade

:O

Come on, he was brilliant in 'The IT Crowd' Which is so far the best 00's sitcom.

I agree that The IT Crowd has been one of the decades best sitcoms. I've always thought there's something slightly stilted about Richard.

Quote: chipolata @ June 19 2008, 11:07 AM BST

00s - Ricky Gervais (I know he's a bit of a one trick pony, but what a trick)

Watch him in Alias.
Hes a great actor.

Not entirely sure what people mean when they say he's a one trick pony... is it more of that 'David Brent and Andy Millman are the same person' twaddle?
Or that he only acts in comedy?
Or what.

My guess is - or what

:)

50s - Tony Hancock
60s - Peter Sellers
70s - Ronnie Barker
80s - Rowan Atkinson
90s - Simon Pegg / Stephen Fry
00s - Julian Barratt / Ricky Gervais

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2008, 6:31 PM BST

'David Brent and Andy Millman are the same person'