Only Fools and Horses - the best episode Page 9

Quote: Pingl @ November 27 2012, 7:21 PM GMT

It was awful, it reminded me of when they moved are you being served to a country hotel in Grace and Favour. Away from their familiar settings some characters just seem lost. It was also very old fashioned, not as slick or as clever as only fools, but then neither was that prequel thing something and chips

Apart from the sometimes weak scripts the whole thing didn't really gel. There were Boycie and Marlene as you know them from the OFAH universe stuck in a completeley different sitcom world. The country hicks were far too silly and cartoonish. Maybe the idea was to show the clash of the two worlds (London vs. Shropshire country)...but in fact they weren't from the same universe or dimension. Farmyard hicks wouldn't have acted like this in OFAH. And then I could have done without that annoying Tyler character. The Mrs. Cakeworthy and Elgin characters were ok.

But to be fair, TGGG had its moments.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 27 2012, 7:18 PM GMT

I watched it too...but only because of Boycie and Marlene, otherwise the show was below par imo. It's the OFAH back story what makes it interesting, and in my case the character Boycie which is my favourite of the OFAH's secondary characters. If you're a big fan of the Rolling Stones then you buy the solo albums as well...not because of the quality but because you have to have everything.

Yes, love Boycie and Marlene. I'm probably a "completist" about a few series, too. That can lead you down some odd paths if you're collecting either characters or actors, but it also leads to some surprisingly wonderful discoveries.

As for the comment about Grace and Favour, I have to say I prefer it to Are You Being Served... maybe it's just the lovely Billy Burden's accent!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 27 2012, 10:26 AM GMT

I love it when Grandad asks: "Was it very valuable?" and Del replies: "No, not really...IT WAS BLEEDIN' PRICLESS WHEN IT WAS HANGIN' UP THERE!!!!"
Laughing out loud

That line, and David Jason's delivery of it, is probably why people associate the chandelier scene with the funniest moment on TV.

-

Green Green Grass never stood a chance IMHO because Boycie and Marlene simply weren't likeable or interesting enough as characters for us to want to see them developed further. Their comedy moments in OFAH are nearly all interaction with Del (or occasionally Trigger) rather than their own initiatives, and without someone so colourful to bounce off they're a bit flat; there's only so much comedy mileage you can get out of an obnoxious braying laugh.

Actually Roy Slater, a bona fide bastard, would probably have made a more interesting central character for a sitcom than most of the OFAH secondary characters.

I always felt there was a show about Trigger and Denzel waiting to be made, maybe where they went into business together. It was never going to happen though as Roger Lloyd Pack had had enough of Trigger by the time OFAH ended.

Quote: enigmatic @ November 28 2012, 2:10 AM GMT

Green Green Grass never stood a chance IMHO because Boycie and Marlene simply weren't likeable or interesting enough as characters for us to want to see them developed further. Their comedy moments in OFAH are nearly all interaction with Del (or occasionally Trigger) rather than their own initiatives, and without someone so colourful to bounce off they're a bit flat; there's only so much comedy mileage you can get out of an obnoxious braying laugh.

Actually Roy Slater, a bona fide bastard, would probably have made a more interesting central character for a sitcom than most of the OFAH secondary characters.

I don't agree with you there: First, as you already pointed out, his laugh was his catchphrase. What was interesting about him was his ambition to belong to a higher class. And although he really had considerably more money than his friends and did everything to appear more sophisticated and important he unmasked himself with his strong Cockney accent and his interaction with the "Peckham gang". That constellation would have led to many funny situations and conflicts. And I'd say he's way more likeable than Slater (who is indeed a strong and interesting character) if you ignore his appearance in "Losing Streak" which made him look a bit like a ruthless mafioso.
He wasn't one dimensional: He was a seemingly cold hearted, cynical, embittered snobby bastard. But he also seems to be aware of his weaknesses and cannot shake off his Cockney roots and the relationships to his old school buddies.
I think it was a big mistake to take him out of the Peckham context. This change wasn't in the slightest bit necessary cause you didn't see him that much in OFAH, so there were many good situations still to come in this context. This "Oh it's so funny to show a big city guy struggling in the country" approach would have been funny for one episode but not as a concept for a whole show with 4 series. I think a show around Boycie should have been set in Peckham, his "natural environment". I would have called the show "Kings Avenue Business" or something like that.

Slater is really a good character; but a little character make over would have been necessary to make him a bit more likeable. Maybe after a big personal crisis (divorce from Raquel?) he would have turned into a more honest person and ambitious policeman,but still a loser, maybe fighting the Driscoll Brothers.
Sadly, I very much doubt that Jim Broadbent would have played the role, having such a high profile acting career on the big screen.

The title of the Slater/Driscoll Brother show? "The Peckham Files"?

How I got very happy and very sad in the space of two minutes:

1. Thanks, Gordon Bennett, I didn't know there were FOUR series. I bought and watched three series because that's what was available. Great news!

2. Series 4 is apparently not available. Bad news.

Anyone know whether or when Series 4 will be available?

Wikipedia says TBA 2012. But it's strange it takes so long. The series aired in 2009. Aaron will know the answer.

I see nobody's picked A Royal Flush yet :D

Quote: Rose2010 @ November 28 2012, 7:16 PM GMT

How I got very happy and very sad in the space of two minutes:

1. Thanks, Gordon Bennett, I didn't know there were FOUR series. I bought and watched three series because that's what was available. Great news!

There's a website I know that holds all of this kind of information... Oh yes, www.comedy.co.uk

Quote: Rose2010 @ November 28 2012, 7:16 PM GMT

2. Series 4 is apparently not available. Bad news.

Anyone know whether or when Series 4 will be available?

Not a clue. I generally believe everything'll be available sooner or later, but I really wouldn't put money on this being released any time soon.

Quote: peter gazzard @ November 29 2012, 10:12 AM GMT

I see nobody's picked A Royal Flush yet :D

It's not as bad as most members say, imo. There are far worse episodes...take Sleepless In Peckham for a start.

Quote: Aaron @ November 29 2012, 11:21 AM GMT

There's a website I know that holds all of this kind of information... Oh yes, www.comedy.co.uk

Not a clue. I generally believe everything'll be available sooner or later, but I really wouldn't put money on this being released any time soon.

I am chastised.

I wrote to 2Entertain, which released Series 1 - 3.. This is what they say:

"Unfortunately we have not acquired the rights to the fourth series so we have no plans to release it. I believe the rights sit with Shazam productions so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they have a release planned. A simple Google search should bring you their contact information."

Perhaps because of John Sullivan's death it will never happen.

I would write to Shazam if I had an email addy....failing that, I suppose I could actually do a real letter.

Quote: Rose2010 @ November 29 2012, 7:35 PM GMT

Perhaps because of John Sullivan's death it will never happen.

His death should be all the more reason to release it. TGGG and OFAH fans know they won't get any new material of their heroes so they want to have all the stuff that's already available. If they release it officially on DVD instead of letting the fans recording it on VHS or whatever then everyone's a winner.
Strange.

Logical. I hope Shazam thinks so, too.

Here, our "gold" re-run channels don't air British comedies and PBS channels tend to stick to a few favourites, so, unless it is issued on DVD, I'll never see it.

Shazam was Sullivan's own production company, set up specifically and solely for the purpose of making The Green Green Grass, because the BBC refused to film it in HD. He had the foresight to hold out.

I think 2 Entertain's statement can probably be read as "Sorry, Series 1 - 3 didn't sell well enough for it to be financially viable." Sadly, that means it's highly unlikely a lesser company would be in a position to release the series.

Quote: Rose2010 @ November 29 2012, 8:13 PM GMT

Here, our "gold" re-run channels don't air British comedies and PBS channels tend to stick to a few favourites, so, unless it is issued on DVD, I'll never see it.

There are other methods of acquisition, which I couldn't possibly elaborate upon publicly.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 28 2012, 8:13 AM GMT

I think it was a big mistake to take him out of the Peckham context.

I think we're closer to agreement than you suggest: it's essentially his [ability to maintain his] relationship with the cast of OFAH that gives his character depth. Without them he's a pretty standard social climbing comedy archetype with the disadvantage of audience preconceptions about him.
Keep it in Peckham with the cast of OFAH and you've got an audience that just wants to see more screen time for Del Boy though...
---
You wouldn't need to make Slater likeable - A bastard who's at the same time cunning enough to get their way and such a pathetic failure in life they have to keep raising the stakes is a great antagonist for the audience to root against.