Citizen James

Anyone know if recordings of this series are available anywhere?

Yep, some episodes are.

Whistling nnocently

Brilliant it is too. IMO anyway.

How odd you should post this today - I was thinking the very same thing following reading about Hancock dropping James for the Hancock series in '61.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_James http://web.archive.org/web/20050407221444/http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/c/citizenjames_7771430.shtml

There's a good book I've got from the library called The Complete Sid James by Robert Ross, detailing all his films, stage shows and TV programmes.

Quote: Dave @ April 27 2008, 8:05 PM BST

There's a good book I've got from the library called The Complete Sid James by Robert Ross, detailing all his films, stage shows and TV programmes.

I have a few Sid books and in my opinion this is by far the best, I always refer to it when seeking out Sids work.

I've never seen Citizen James, but I've always wanted too :)

Finally this Galton & Simpson comedy is coming to DVD. It is out on the 6th of February, containing all of Series 1 and 2 remaining episodes from each of Series 2 and Series 3.

As a big fan of Sidney James this is great news. I love all of his work, from the fabulous film What A Carve Up, to the family based sitcom Bless This House, and of course, the Carry On films. I also have the George And The Dragon box set, which I still have to finish watching, and then of course there is Hancock's Half Hour - if only they could find all those missing episodes.

Now to Citizen James, I have not seen this before, so will be a real treat to see it for the first time. I am in no doubt that I will enjoy this early 1960s offering. Has anyone else seen this and what did you think?

Yes, it's wonderful. Much as you'd expect from Ray, Sid and Alan. (Not to mention Bill and Liz.) I am beyond delighted that they're releasing it on DVD at last, but very disappointed that no other episodes have surfaced.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/20414630/Citizen-James/Product.html]
[h=140793]

I am interested in giving this a go. Has any seen it whose taste I trust more than Aaron's?

Insolent boy. If you like Hancock's Half Hour I can't imagine you'll turn your nose up at Citizen James. The later series, which Galton and Simpson did not write, are a little changed, but the first series is all but a HHH spin-off, and you'd struggle to fit a sheet of paper between the Sid in that and in Citizen James.

I know I like some pretty ropey old (and new) shit, but I can also tell what I like despite it being a load of tat, and this is not one of those.

Unless you're doubting the writing of Galton and Simpson at the height of their success? Which is probably punishable by execution around here. Or should be. ;)

I had an idea other writers were involved, but if the first series was G&S I'll give it a go. Having trouble though seeing Sid's character as a lead rather than a foil.

Yep, Galton & Simpson exclusively penned the first series, all 6 episodes of which survive and will be in the DVD set. There are some differences, and of course he's in a different comedy world with different friends and associates, but it's the same Sidney Balmoral James with an eye for making a quick buck and no qualms about tricking those closest to him.

The second and third series were written by Sid Green and Dick Hills, and they turned him from being a barely-right-side-of-the-law rebel and low-level crook to a sort of ... well, in the words of Mark Lewisohn, he "develops a sense of social justice" and becomes "a people's champion, taking on causes".

There's nothing objectively wrong with the later Green and Hills episodes, I should point out. They're accomplished comedy scribes in their own right. But it's not the same Galton & Simpson excellence, and in comparison with those first 6 episodes, the 2 of their 4 that I have seen do suffer.

and a supporting cast that includes Sydney Tafler, John Bluthal, Patricia Hayes, Bob Todd, Frank Thornton, Irene Handl, Lance Percival, Derek Nimmo and film star Cecil Parker.

'Say no more, know what I mean? Nudge nudge, wink wink'

:D

I do hope you're doing your BCG duty and ordering through our links! :)

Alan Simpson's mother sometimes did typing for my Dad, at Michelin in the 1960s.

Sounds wonderful.