Benidorm - Series 1 & 2 Page 5

Didn't watch it either. They really have no idea what they're doing, do they?

I disagree, I thought episode three was very good and Benidorm is by far the best new comedy at the moment, which isn't surprising when it's written by Derren Litten.

Incidentally, when you talk about comparing it with classic comedies, Fools & Horses was rubbished by critics and said to not be worth a second series when it was first broadcast.

I agree that Fools and Horses and some other classics like Blackadder and Red Dwarf were given a mixed reception when they were first broadcast but I agree with the earlier post that stated that a second series wouldn't really be plausible. Obviously these holidaymakers wouldn't all go away at the same time as each other and maybe Paul Jackson should have thought about that when he commissioned it.

My point wasn't that Benidorm doesn't compare well to the classics - I could have compared it to crap comedies as well. Take "After You've Gone." Even that has plots in each episode (e.g. last night about the danger of girlfriend and mother-in-law becoming friends). Benidorm doesn't seem to have any plots, and that makes it difficult for me to watch as a sitcom.

Quote: Nick @ February 17, 2007, 10:22 AM

Obviously these holidaymakers wouldn't all go away at the same time as each other and maybe Paul Jackson should have thought about that when he commissioned it.

That's the least of its problems. Benidorm just isn't funny. Maybe he should have thought about that before he commissioned it.

Haha, almost pointed that out myself. The show might just about pass off as some kind of light-hearted pastiche drama or something, but as a sitcom it just lacks.

But he probably did find it funny when he read it. Now I think that he was wrong but if he liked the script then it's understandable that he would want to make it as it has a successful writer and decent cast. I don't think it was ever likely to run though.

Interesting to see that the ratings incresed by 100,000 for epsiode four and that was against Graham Norton's new chat show on BBC, which it beat.

I think the figures have been good for the time slot this show is in and I think that a second series will be commissioned. It has been very well received on other forums - just not this one!!

Which other forums? Comedy forums?

It's hardly a surprise that Benidorm beat Graham Norton's chat show. ITV versus BBC2 is hardly a fair fight. What's more relevant is that it was well beaten by the news on BBC1.

3.7m viewers for a show at 10pm isn't particularly impressive and unless it can continue to claw back viewers then I don't see ITV giving it a second series.

soap fan, like Nick says, 3.7m is sadly not a very good figure for 10pm on ITV1 - they normally expect ratings around the 5m mark. Here is the figures for the same slot earlier in the week, as you can see, Benidorm is under-performing in comparison...
Wed: 4.3 million, Tue: 5 million, Mon: 5.7 million

I for one hope Benidorm does get re-commissioned, after all even an average comedy (disclaimer: that is only my opinion) is better than some drama!

I'm interested to know how many of you think Benidorm compares with 'Duty Free'.

I'll let you know when the DVD's out!

I watch Benidorm, but I don't like it a lot. It's better than anything else on at that time on Thursday, but it's not a keeper (something I'd watch again and again). It's mildly amusing, actually it's more of a funny drama than a comedy. The characters aren't warm at all, which is a huge mistake. There really isn't a likeable character amongst them all.

I think the "We're all on a cheap holiday" stuff got old quite quickly. I don't particularly care what happens to any of them, they could all drown and no-one would be bothered. I don't think it's clever, realistic, ironic or vastly entertaining.

I can't see a need for a second series. If they do another series, they need to lose the old aged swingers, the gays and the horrendous warring couple and move it on somewhere else. Morecambe or something.

Paul Jackson’s first sitcom commission since returning to ITV as director of entertainment and comedy, will be be re-commissioned.

After peaking at almost six million viewers on its February 1 this year, Benidorm, will start filming the first of eight new episodes later this year.

Paul said: “The decision was made after the fourth episode as it became apparent that the series maintained healthy ratings against some tough competition. I am thrilled; we had such a great cast involved and the writer Derren Litten is one of the finest comedy talents I’m come across in years. I’m very much looking forward to working with Tiger Apsect, Geoffrey Perkins and Sophie Clarke-Jervoise again when we make an extended series.”