Benidorm - Series 1 & 2

A website has been set up with details of new ITV sitcom Benidorn

http://www.solanaapartments.co.uk

Starts 1st February 10 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Barry - it's quite a curious official site!

I've got the press pack in my inbox now so we'll have character, episode guides and more online here at the BSG at www.comedy.co.uk/benidorm within the next couple of days.

This better be good. It's got the bloke from Man Stroke Woman and Absolute Power in it.

Nicholas Burns?

Purely by their not being able to tell the difference between England and the United Kingdom, they've rubbed me up the wrong way. Not a good start.

I've read the review about it in the Radio Times. Judging by what I've read, it's either going to be hillarious or one of the worst sitcoms ever. It is not going to be clever. Apparently it is a ruder version of the classic 1980's sitcom Duty Free. It will be predictable and oh yes, someone makes a joke about "The Germans". Very 1975.

I watched what there is on the website and looks like another bunch of dead beat, vulgar characters talking graphically about sex. Unless I want to laugh at that there's nothing in it for me, notwithstanding Paul Jackson's involvement. How many chances are they gonna give Johnny Vegas, anyway? He sounds like what he's saying is funny but it seldom is. Oh, I just thought of this. Maybe they put all this talk of penises and vaginas on the trails so millions watch it and then they'll sneak some real comedy onto the shows. Where's the discussion about current affairs and thieving, lying politicians and the corrupt European Union? Why isn't someone talking about the Olympics and the spiraling cost of those? Comedy my nuts.

Quote: Charlie Adams @ January 24, 2007, 8:23 PM

Where's the discussion about current affairs and thieving, lying politicians and the corrupt European Union? Why isn't someone talking about the Olympics and the spiraling cost of those?

Well it's definitely not on ITV, that's for sure.

Increasingly sounds like Benidorm is going to be another misguided ITV attempt to reinvigorate their audience share. And since Michael Grade is supposedly leaning towards axeing Midsomer Murders, IMO pretty much the only remotely watchable programme on the channel, it's really not going to get any better.

Just watched clips of it on the website and yes It does look rather coarse. Yes, it's called a VAGINA, get over it. I'll give it a go though and see what happens

Quote: Aaron @ January 24, 2007, 9:43 PM

And since Michael Grade is supposedly leaning towards axeing Midsomer Murders,

:O :O :O

noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT I know, but Nettles' acting is a masterclass in detective drama acting. Sublime. Silly, on occasion, but then it's very English isn't it?

Actually I'm sure it would transfer very well to BBC Sunday nights...

Another website with pictures of the cast and details about Benidorm

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-15098

For anyone interested: there was a piece in the Independent today about filming this sitcom. At the time of writing you can read it online here

Two quotes from it that I liked:

Johnny Vegas: "You don't want freebies, but it is very hard to pay for things here. It's also very hard to go for a drink and come back before three days have elapsed. I went out for a drink one night, and before I knew it, it was the next night!"

Producer Geoffrey Perkins: "I heard a woman phoning home yesterday to tell her friends the Manchester United score. She thought that because we're an hour ahead here, they wouldn't yet know the score back home!"

I read that. I loved the last quote so much.

So, What did you think?

I thought it was OK a few chuckles along the way, don’t think it’s going to turn in to a classic but entertaining.

I’ll tune in next week

I forgot to watch it but i will download it from a source which will remain nameless on here.

Extremely mediocre. Some mildly amusing moments, and on the whole I suppose it was reasonably entertaining, but not really funny at all. Could improve, but I doubt it.