Benidorm - Series 1 & 2 Page 6

I think it's admirable that ITV are going to continue to make new sitcoms but I still find the decision to give it a second run surprising.

I wonder how they'll feel if the last 2 episodes of this series lose viewers.

I glad it got a new series; it has an interesting array of characters and could be good. I say could, as it has some distant to go before it’s even OK. Be interesting to see were it goes from here.

Quote: Nick @ March 1, 2007, 7:20 PM

I think it's admirable that ITV are going to continue to make new sitcoms but I still find the decision to give it a second run surprising.

As if it makes any difference. This programme has done deal written all over it. It's not meant to appeal to an intelligent audience because that's not what television's all about these days, and if anyone thinks tv has moved on since the 70's then they should think again.

I asked the question a couple of posts back with regard to how 'Benidorm' compared to 'Duty Free'from the 1970's. Maybe not many people remember or even know about it, but the common denominator between the two is that they both used steriotypes.

'Duty Free' used the class system and Johnny Foreigner to trawll for laughs in much the same way as 'Benidorm' does. The only difference was that 'Duty Free' did it without the in your face profanity and crudeness. Decades on and guess what, nothing's changed and that's why 'Benidorm' is going to get another series.

Jeezaloo, this is turning into one hell of a rant but I want to to end this grumpy old moan with a final thought. 'Benidorm', as I see it, is an accurate portrayal of society as it is today and I forsee many many more programmes like 'Benidorm' hitting the screen and there's not a damn thing any of us can do about it.

What's the alternative - 'Jam and Jeruselam'?

Quote: soap fan @ March 1, 2007, 4:12 PM

Paul Jackson’s first sitcom commission since returning to ITV as director of entertainment and comedy, will be be re-commissioned.

After peaking at almost six million viewers on its February 1 this year, Benidorm, will start filming the first of eight new episodes later this year.

Paul said: “The decision was made after the fourth episode as it became apparent that the series maintained healthy ratings against some tough competition. I am thrilled; we had such a great cast involved and the writer Derren Litten is one of the finest comedy talents I’m come across in years. I’m very much looking forward to working with Tiger Apsect, Geoffrey Perkins and Sophie Clarke-Jervoise again when we make an extended series.”

F**king hell. You have to be kidding me. Finances the way they are, and ITV still carry on commissioning and recommissioning utter wank. They don't try and improve their audience, do they? They're happy with the brain dead morons that do watch and aren't interested in gaining more viewers (not that everyone who watches ITV is a brain dead moron of course). I just hope they don't try and pass this off as a sitcom next time. We may as well close the BSG right now. I mean... What's the point?

Seriously. Christ on ice.

*shakes head in dismay*

As I have posted before, I don't like Benidorm and I agree with an earlier poster (sorry, not going back to check now) that it is much more like a drama than a sitcom. But blow me down, I'm actually pleased it's been recommissioned. In the cutthroat world of commercial telly it would have been easy for them to say "that's it" after one series, but they are giving it a chance to bed in. So many great (or even average) sitcoms in the so-called glory days were poorly received at first, but gained an audience and respect on series 2 or 3. Nice to see this principle isn't yet dead, and good luck to Benidorm (though I probably won't be watching).

I'm still confused about how they can do a second series in the same setting with the same characters, but that's the challenge for Mr Litten.

Hmm, yes, that's true I suppose. But still, my personal opinion at this stage is that it's just that bit too far beyond help.

Still, we'll see...

I think the second series will be crap as well but I think it's good that ITV are giving it a fair chance

1st post on here, so hello all.

IMHO this series has been one of the funniest things on telly in many years.

The scene where the woman in the motor scooter goes to the swingers bedroom was hilarious, but the genius of the writing was the way she liked them again after they bought her a 100 fags as an apology.

Now....Fear, Stress and Anger...there is a truly awful comedy.......IMHO.

Dan

Just watched the last part. Very hit and miss - jokes and performances although Johnny Vegas was brill, plus the older couple Janine Duvitski and her husband - not the expected types.

I liked the twist at the end too where Steve Pemberton's character got caught out for benefit fraud.

Not very sitcom. Maybe they tried to be too funny and failed.

I know Benidorm is fictionally set in the Solana resort, but does anybody know which actual hotel in Benidorm was used?? We wonder if its the Magic Rock Gardens, but are not sure??

See Wikipedia entry via Google "Benidorm SitCom" ...

Benidorm was filmed at the Hotel Sol Pelicanos-Ocas in Benidorm.

I thought it was a good solid finish following last weeks decent episode. Vegas was funny, as stated, and the chav family mellowed a bit and just when you began to warm to them, bang, assault and benefit fraud. Fantastic.

The poo joke was a bit childish until the fantastic part when she was informed it was only a joke. Brilliant facials.

They did well to leave it open for a new series. Obviously the old couple would go back there, Vegas and his mum will and the gay couple might return to the scene of the proposal. I suppose if Madge has befriended the old couple, that paves the way for them to return too. There's no way the other couple would return though, so that's surely them out of it. They jest need to explain what would be an incredible coincidence if they all went back in the same week!

Good start, poor middle, strong finish.

First post from me, so hi everybody. -- I can't believe I watched all six episodes. I suppose I did because I expected something better, perhaps character development, from Pemberton, Vegas and Burns. The poo bit in the last episode was predictable from A to Z and wasn't even remotely funny - and yes, I got the attempt of a story arc to the first episode with the turd floating in the loo - the scene was merely to expose the girl, that's just annoyingly poor and lazy (and may I add, misogynist) comedy writing.

Just like a lot of other current stuff, this didn't really offer more than a series of mucky, cringe-inducing jokes, which is sad because there is so much a setting such as this has to offer. The timing was completely wrong, the scenes broke off where actual development - and the fun - could have started, and the entire series seemed awkward and half-baked. Just not funny.

I must admit that I, too, was surprised by the ending, though, as I think about it, it just seems like one of those few scenes the writers actually did put their minds to (which is a sad thing to say for 180 minutes altogether), if only to create some sort of a cliffhanger for the sake of having one. But since the first installment let me down, I doubt that I will even consider watching the second series.

Hello Heiner & welcome.

I bet if you watched all 6 episodes you won't resist series 2. Surely if they work on the best bits and expand from there they could be onto a winner but what is it about ITV sitcoms? They never seem to work like BBC ones. Was this a team job or just one or two writers? I didn't notice.

Yeah, I suppose I really am that sad and will give it a go anyway (like I did with such unlikely junk as Tittybangbang and Man Stroke Woman). Rolling eyes (Note to myself: get a life some day.)

Benidorm was written by one Derren Litten who has also contributed to, among others, series 2 of The Catherine Tate Show (and we know what that has come to).

I think one of the things that bothered me most was that I couldn't believe that these people from pretty classy previous BBC shows (League of Gentlemen, Ideal, Nathan Barley) were all stuck in one stinky ITV show. Surely not something to show off with - actually, it can only go downhill from being in a sitcom on that channel.