Only Fools and Horses back again? Page 3

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 26 2008, 10:01 PM BST

Sorry to degrade, but have given it a go and it isn't funny. Good Moaning wasn't funny the first time, let alone the 384th time.

I can understand why it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was a much-loved show, well-written with really strong characters and great performances. It's a good, silly farce, with some quite risque jokes (pleasantly surprised that the BBC are repeating it on a Sunday afternoon). Haven't met David Croft but am working with his daughter, Penny, and Roy Gould, who assistant-produced and directed a lot of 'Allo 'Allo! - both absolutely lovelies.

I've not watched it myself but have anybody from the OFAH cameo'ed in Green Green Grass?

Denzil was in the very first episode. Not sure of any others!

And the Driscoll Brothers.

In the first episode of OFAH 'Big Brother' Del walks into the Nags Head and an uncredited actress says 'Alright Del' This uncredited actress is Tessa Peake-Jones, who would go on to play Raquel in the series.

Really wouldn't like to see it coming back. 'Time On Our Hands' (hope I got the title right) was a perfect send off. Bringing it back after that to have them lose their millions, be revealed as half brothers and force the obnoxious teenage Damien on us....blech. At least The Green, Green Grass is only bringing down a side character, not the the characters we really care about.

Agreed- should never have come back. The decision to make Del and Rodney half brothers was criminal. It would not have been worse if it was revealed that the duo were a pair of ruthless serial killers, who preyed on old women. Knowing Del and Rodney were proper brothers made the acting between Jason and Lyndhurst spot on. When watching early episodes now, I just blank the infomation out.

At least it makes their size-difference a bit more plausible.

Del and Rodney being half brothers was VERY strongly hinted at in 'The Frog's Legacy' in the 1980s so its not like it came as a complete revelation.

The 'Thicker Than Water' Christmas episode when Del's dad comes home is a bit baffling to watch now though.

I think it was the fact that there was already no heart to these three episodes, so to see something like that makes it even sadder and comes off as a cheap way to try and add drama.

Additionally, I really hate Damien. I'm 22 so I went to school with people like that and didn't care for them then either. I think OFAH is a show which is very 1980s/early 1990s, so when you throw in a wannabe gangster kid using all that slang...blech. Add in the teenaged version of the character was just a spoiled brat in general. When he was a baby/toddler it worked better, since he was more a device to get amusing reactions out of Rodney.

There is also a bit of a mistake regarding the charactor of Freddie the Frog. In 'The Frog's Legacy' when mentioned by Aunt Rene, Del has never heard of him. Yet in the final instalment 'Slepless In Peckham' it is revealed that Freddie went on a Jolly Boys Outing in the 1960s, which Del also attended, so they must have known each other.

Oh well. If Sullivan won't write it why don't we?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 27 2008, 2:11 PM BST

And the Driscoll Brothers.

I knew I'd forgotten someone, in between checking the spelling of 'Denzil' and having to disconnect! I'm not sure if it was such a good idea to have them come in and end Boyce's worries so soon though.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 27 2008, 10:07 PM BST

There is also a bit of a mistake regarding the charactor of Freddie the Frog. In 'The Frog's Legacy' when mentioned by Aunt Rene, Del has never heard of him. Yet in the final instalment 'Slepless In Peckham' it is revealed that Freddie went on a Jolly Boys Outing in the 1960s, which Del also attended, so they must have known each other.

To be fair, Del would have been, what, in his late teens at the time of that outing? So even if he had remembered Freddie, he is unlikely to have known him particularly, perhaps not even his name, let alone what he did!

But would have known what he looked like. When Aunt Rene mentioned him, it is likely he would have had a slight remembrance of what he looked like and would have pictured Rodney.

I dunno, I don't remember half of the people I went to school with, and that was only 3 years ago, let alone 20-30.