Keeping Up Appearances Page 8

Quote: Wheel @ 7th November 2020, 9:25 AM

Excellent writing and acting.

Acting I'll go along with, although it's not a fashionable style of sitcom acting now, alas. Writing, hmm, could have been sharper and after watching an episode on this evening I thought they botched it with a reveal way too soon. It was all very unsubtle and predictable. And it didn't do it any favours being followed by one of the strongest episodes of Yes Prime Minister. Did make for a good contrast of sitcom viewing though.

I've noticed that the early series rely almost entirely on the tensions between Hyacinth(there couldn't be a better name for her!) and her downmarket family, improbable as this was. Wouldn't she have moved to the other side of the country to get away from them, rather than a few streets away? In the later series the family were sidelined, not even appearing in many episodes, and it became a lot funnier - Hyacinth versus the entire world.

Quote: beaky @ 9th February 2022, 9:58 AM

I've noticed that the early series rely almost entirely on the tensions between Hyacinth(there couldn't be a better name for her!) and her downmarket family, improbable as this was. Wouldn't she have moved to the other side of the country to get away from them, rather than a few streets away? In the later series the family were sidelined, not even appearing in many episodes, and it became a lot funnier - Hyacinth versus the entire world.

Couldn't agree more.
The whole "council house relatives" schtick was awful - particularly the trampy sister (overacted horribly).
Like Basil Fawlty, she needs to be the only 'villain' (though we can't help but love her) as you say, against the rest of the world - having the equally egregious relatives unbalances the whole thing.

Quote: beaky @ 9th February 2022, 9:58 AM

Interesting. I've never noticed the family being "sidelined" in later series; although it's certainly true they branched out with a clearly larger production budget!

I think you've missed a nuance in the character and relationship with her family though. She's devoted to her father in particular, and loves them all - but just wishes they were 'better' and didn't embarrass her (and themselves) quite so readily. She's snooty, not uncaring.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th February 2022, 10:13 AM

The whole "council house relatives" schtick was awful hilarious

Fixed it for you. ?

Was never a massive fan, (would never buy any box-set if there was one), but found it a pleasant and funny sitcom.