Keeping Up Appearances

What do people think of the brilliant comedy sitcom Keeping Up Appearances?
I have produced a small questionnaire and would be very grateful if people could fill it in.

Click Here to take survey

I like it. Great relaxing comedy. And I think most people know someone with at least a similarity to some of Hyacinth's traits.

Nah it's complete rubbish. Perhaps you can enjoy 1 episode, but after that its the same episode week after week

Aren't most sitcoms "the same every week"? They establish a formula and then stick to it. The clever ones tweak the formula every now and then, but most don't stray too far. Fawlty Towers never really went beyond Basil making a monumental cock-up of something, and we didn't care because it was blisteringly funny.

I'd take Keeping Up Appearances over any of todays "family sitcoms" that the BBC farts out.

I certainly would't say that KUA was 'blisteringly funny', but it was good enough. Some nicely observed set-pieces. Overall, comfortable and unchallenging viewing - a nice sitcom.

I never said KUA was blisteringly funny, I was referring to Fawlty Towers. Try and keep up.

I think the scenario is fine however the sameyness week after week made it feel more like the fast show with repeating scenes. It was almost as if the same script was just slightly altered each week.
Okay so last week she was waiting for a 3-piece-suite. This week we'll have a erm new carpet. Search Replace
Last week Sheridan wanted money for Ice dance lessons, this week it can be erm fashion design course. Search Replace
Last week daddy goes missing in a cemetry. This week we can make it an erm toy shop. Search Replace.
Last week she fell into a hedge, this week... erm can't think of anything she can fall into a hedge again.

Quote: chipolata @ January 17, 2008, 3:32 PM

I never said KUA was blisteringly funny, I was referring to Fawlty Towers. Try and keep up.

I didn't say you did. Note my italics in that post.
So you try and keep up!

Quote: Rob B @ January 17, 2008, 3:35 PM

I think the scenario is fine however the sameyness week after week made it feel more like the fast show with repeating scenes. It was almost as if the same script was just slightly altered each week.
Okay so last week she was waiting for a 3-piece-suite. This week we'll have a erm new carpet. Search Replace
Last week Sheridan wanted money for Ice dance lessons, this week it can be erm fashion design course. Search Replace
Last week daddy goes missing in a cemetry. This week we can make it an erm toy shop. Search Replace.
Last week she fell into a hedge, this week... erm can't think of anything she can fall into a hedge again.

Laughing out loud I have to say I found that too.

I'd like to hear jake how's opinion.

Quote: Rob B @ January 17, 2008, 3:35 PM

Doesn't make it inherently bad though. Just evidently not to your taste in this case. But I love it 'cos it can be relied upon, because of that sameynessa and familiarity.

I'm a fan- not the greatest sitcom ever- but it lightens up my Sundays. By the way, i've filled in your questionaire tomo359, a good questionaire it was.

Quote: Rob B @ January 17, 2008, 2:50 PM

Nah it's complete rubbish. Perhaps you can enjoy 1 episode, but after that its the same episode week after week

You'll find that generally with most uccesful sitcoms.

When I used to watch Keeping Up Appearances as a kid, I always really wanted to see Sheridan make an appearance. Do we ever get to see him?

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ January 17, 2008, 8:42 PM

When I used to watch Keeping Up Appearances as a kid, I always really wanted to see Sheridan make an appearance. Do we ever get to see him?

I don't think you ever should. It's best just suggested I think.