Doctor Who... Page 693

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 12:02 AM BST

In your living room!

They did seem to get a highly favourable reaction in general. Many more raves than maulings.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2011, 12:05 AM BST

They did seem to get a highly favourable reaction in general. Many more raves than maulings.

Personally I am concerned DW is turning into too much of a hooray. Whether it is deliberate or not but put him in a ginger wig and he looks like the guy who wanted to diddle the chief bridesmaid at some wedding a week or so ago.

I thought the episode was pretty good.
It could have had more laughs or been a bit more shwashbuckling.
But it had a nice bit of danger with a resolution that made sense.

Filler. Good enough filler. But filler.

So what's happening with Amy seeing that woman with the eyepatch peering in at her? Is nothing real, and she's in a cell imagining it all?

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 10:30 AM BST

"Also why did people who got touched by the Siren get zapped using exactly the same special effect as the victims of the Silence?

I don't think it was quite the same, was it?? They dissapeared in a quick puff of smoke here, where as that woman in the bathroom looked like she was more torn apart.

Quote: Nogget @ May 8 2011, 10:33 AM BST

So what's happening with Amy seeing that woman with the eyepatch peering in at her? Is nothing real, and she's in a cell imagining it all?

She'll probably be sent on a mission to revisit her past or something, a bit like the Doctor in the series five finale, so I'm not sure "imagining" is the best word. I doubt Moffat would pull a Bobby Ewing.

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 10:30 AM BST

"I know. Let's all give ourselves up to the Siren just in case all the people she's touched aren't actually dead but have been safely teleported somewhere. We've no reason to believe that, but it's the only way I can think of for getting us into the final act of the story".

But blimey you have to admit how lucky they were that they didn't wake up with tubes in them like everyone else but were free to go straight to the rescue.

And did the 'Doctor' not have any first aid training then, to help poor Pond???
Or is that he is not to interfere in the affairs of man? :)

Also sing didddy did diddly did etc to the Who theme and then do it to Captain Pugwash tune? A coincidence???

Yes, it probably would have worked better being, say, a two parter. And less of a romp, more gritty, real, nasty pirates; and we think they're the real threat to begin with. Nasty pirates, not cartoon ones, that was the way to go for me. These slightly historical ones often don't gel for me in the new series, they often turn out to be the episodes I'm least inclined to revisit. Probably because they seem to go straight to 'romp mode'.

Having said all that High B was pretty damn good, and I like the idea of a crew of a pirate ghost space ship flying around space. Think of this as back story that should never have been shown in this form, as Griff and Matthew suggest, and you could have great fun with the concept.

And didn't Lily Allen look a lot taller!

Having said that about the historical ones, the Madame Pompadour one was a cracker.

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 11:25 AM BST

As was the other Moffatt historical, The Empty Child.

Oh right, forgot that!

Please don't mention the Shakespeare one where he makes the 'great' speech on the stage of the Globe about the power of words and then makes up Harry Potter type bollocks.

I wake up at nights sometimes screaming at the memory.

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 11:36 AM BST

The New Who historicals generally make me a bit sad. The original Who historicals seemed to think that just being in a historical era was exciting enough, and used the history to create the drama. The Aztecs (Hartnell era) is absolutely superb. Modern ones seem to think 'history is BORING, KIDZ! and we can only make it dramatic if we include a rubbish giant wasp monster and have Agatha Christie doing the same 'power of words' spiel as Shakespeare'. (As if that hopeless old hack knew anything about the magic of words, I've read IKEA instructions that are more interesting than Christie's turgid prose.)

I think RTD was talking about himself.

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 11:36 AM BST

The New Who historicals generally make me a bit sad. The original Who historicals seemed to think that just being in a historical era was exciting enough, and used the history to create the drama. The Aztecs (Hartnell era) is absolutely superb. Modern ones seem to think 'history is BORING, KIDZ! and we can only make it dramatic if we include a rubbish giant wasp monster and have Agatha Christie doing the same 'power of words' spiel as Shakespeare'. (As if that hopeless old hack knew anything about the magic of words, I've read IKEA instructions that are more interesting than Christie's turgid prose.)

Sure, but they've been doing that since the late sixties; there hasn't been a pure TV ep historical since, I think, the first Jamie episode. Those very early ones, for better or worse, are now the exception as opposed to the rule.

EDIT:

Actually, I think Black Orchid, a Davison two parter, may have been a pure historical; but still, mostly they'll have a sci-fi element; it's not something just adopted by the modern series.