Doctor Who... Page 689

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 3 2011, 3:22 PM BST

I thought the 2nd and 3rd SH were both pretty poor.

The first ep was the pretty funky. The second one was shockingly poor. The third was Meh, with a bubble-voiced Moriarty.

You're wrong John. Second episode was dull, the third was good.

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2011, 3:34 PM BST

The first ep was the pretty funky. The second one was shockingly poor. The third was Meh, with a bubble-voiced Moriarty.

The set-up was good for the first, but the actual crime they solved was a bit flimsy.

Upon reflection though, I'm not sure why I liked SH as much as I did.

I'm with John
The third episode was slightly better than the second

But they were both far worse than the first episode.
It was really disappointing in the end.

Quote: Rob H @ May 3 2011, 3:36 PM BST

You're wrong John. Second episode was dull, the third was good. The set-up was good for the first, but the actual crime they solved was a bit flimsy. Upon reflection though, I'm not sure why I liked SH as much as I did.

Yes, it's one of those shows that seemed great at the time, but now...

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2011, 3:39 PM BST

Yes, it's one of those shows that seemed great at the time, but now...

I think the two leads are a good pairing, but for me the episodes were lacking in the kind of intrigue that the Holmes stories usually have.

Yes it was a bit of a let down all round. Style over very little substance.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2011, 2:21 PM BST

Doctor Who loses more than 1m
SATURDAY: Doctor Who lost more than a million viewers following its worst launch since the franchise was rebooted

From Broadcast.

If they lose the kids they are in trouble - and I'm not sure those two openers helped!

SATURDAY: Doctor Who lost more than a million viewers following its worst launch since the franchise was rebooted.

The sci-fi drama, starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, continued on last week's story in the Utah desert with an audience of 5.38m (30.49%) from 6pm to 6.45pm on BBC1 and BBC1 HD, according to overnight Barb figures supplied by Attentional.

It was more than a million viewers down on last week's series six launch audience of 6.51m (36.66%) - the lowest debut since Doctor Who was resurrected in 2005.

The continued good weather is unlikely to have helped the doctor's cause, but the audience figures will rise once consolidated and online viewing is taken into account. Last week's episode had a consolidated rating of 8.86m.

The consolodated figures, the full ratings, will go up to over seven million for episode 2, which is very good. First eps opening figures were almost nine million. And neither include iPlayer.

Episode one got just as many viewers as several of the other series openers, and just like the other openers, figures dropped off come the next few episodes.

The overnights are definitely lower than they used to be, but then the final figures jump up a much greater degree.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2011, 2:21 PM BST

Doctor Who loses more than 1m
SATURDAY: Doctor Who lost more than a million viewers following its worst launch since the franchise was rebooted

Worst launch, that's balls. The first epsiode got higher or the same figures as three of Tennant's opening eps.

For all it's faults Dr Who is still easily one of the most engaging and entertaining shows on TV.

And 7 million is pretty impressive by anyone's stnadards

Quote: sootyj @ May 3 2011, 4:11 PM BST

For all it's faults Dr Who is still easily one of the most engaging and entertaining shows on TV.

And 7 million is pretty impressive by anyone's stnadards

They must know they're fudging the facts for a more interesting story. 'Doctor Who does pretty well in it's opening two episodes' isn't quite as interesting, is it?

I wonder if it'll retain viewers, though. It's got a convoluted story that might not even be resolved this year at the heart of it. Or make sense when it is. And just when momentum is building it'll disappear from our screens, and likely be up against X Factor on its return in the Autumn.

Quote: Griff @ May 3 2011, 3:37 PM BST

I've got this bastard queued up in my Lovefilm list. Should I just cancel it?

No, it's a good show; first and third eps are very fun.

Maybe it was written who really liked that scifi show about colonists living in portakabins in Africa or summat.

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2011, 4:19 PM BST

I wonder if it'll retain viewers, though. It's got a convoluted story that might not even be resolved this year at the heart of it. Or make sense when it is. And just when momentum is building it'll disappear from our screens, and likely be against X Factor.

Well yeah, it may well plummet in the ratings, but despite what that article claims, it hasn't yet. Every episode won't be like that opener though; I imagine the next couple will be much more stand alone adventures; with maybe a sniff of the series arc here or there.

Actually, isn't Xfactor on later than six?

I suppose the change this year has thrown many; usually we start with a stand alone, jolly tale, and build into the arc, where as this time we were thrown right in. But the stand alone eps are still going to be there.

Zooo's a massive X-Factor fan. She'll know.

X Factor is usually on at about 8ish, I think.