Doctor Who... Page 687

Laughing out loud!

I thought this series started off pretty well (forgetting the fact, that if the doctor is killed 200 years from 'now', they may as well cancel the auditions for the next doctor, as he dies as Matt Smith). Unfortunately, a good premise seemed to unfold a little too quickly and there did seem to be a few plot holes. Not sure if a 10 year old will be able to follow it. Doctor = Good, Dalek = Bad, was so much easier.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 2 2011, 6:33 PM BST

That's not true. We assume he won't die for the same reason that we assume that the title character of any TV show won't die but there's been plenty of jeopardy in Who over the years. In fact before JNT and Graham Williams put the show in a patterned jersey and went down the pub it was almost all jeopardy and there was no proof that the Doctor would save the day. Yes he always survived and saved his companion but often everyone else was collateral meatwad.

---SPOILERS---

Everyone cops it on the Sandminer in Robots of Death, in the Lighthouse in Fang Rock, In the Arctic and UK in Seeds of Doom etc.

-------------

The Doctor in those days seemed ironically 'only human' in his capacities and he certainly couldn't bring people back from the dead. In last weeks show Matt Smith boasts; "It still won't be enough" about some über-prison that they're building around him. the character has become basically omnipotent.

You're making a different point to what I made; yes there is potential jeopardy for everyone else we see.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 2 2011, 6:50 PM BST

It's certainly a quick way to see how they f**ked up the show by trying to be clever.

I said this very thing today to her who was puzzled as to why I was telling her.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 2 2011, 6:50 PM BST

It's certainly a quick way to see how they f**ked up the show by trying to be clever.

F**ked it up for you, yes.

And Marc P! :D

Given that the Doc is basically immortal, I think some of the strongest drama has come from the consequences of his actions on his companions. Rose getting spirited away, Catherine Wotsit having her mind wiped or whatever, Amy losing Rory and then forgetting about it... some of that has been quite powerful.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 2 2011, 7:22 PM BST

Given that the Doc is basically immortal, I think some of the strongest drama has come from the consequences of his actions on his companions. Rose getting spirited away, Catherine Wotsit having her mind wiped or whatever, Amy losing Rory and then forgetting about it... some of that has been quite powerful.

And let's not forget, poor Martha would never have started dating Mickey had she not travelled with the Doctor.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 2 2011, 7:22 PM BST

Yes I love it that he is so immortal they create two of him so one can live with Rose in yet another... oh never mind.
:S

Quote: Marc P @ May 2 2011, 10:06 PM BST

Yes I love it that he is so immortal they create two of him so one can live with Rose in yet another... oh never mind.
:S

That was duff. As was the fact they brought back Rose at all, ruining what was a good final ending to her at the end of series 2.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 2 2011, 10:07 PM BST

That was duff. As was the fact they brought back Rose at all, ruining what was a good final ending to her at the end of series 2.

Matthew behave yourself you are agreeing with me too much lately! :)

I wonder if humans would have defeated The Silence that easily? Even after the mass exposure they'd still have been able to do their Mr Whistle anus-mouths and make humans explode.

Quote: chipolata @ May 2 2011, 10:56 PM BST

I wonder if humans would have defeated The Silence that easily? Even after the mass exposure they'd still have been able to do their Mr Whistle anus-mouths and make humans explode.

Seemed like quite a slow process though, compared to how quickly they reacted to being shot... There was no implication at any point that they were necessarily stronger than humans?

Quote: GGdown @ May 2 2011, 11:12 PM BST

Seemed like quite a slow process though, compared to how quickly they reacted to being shot... There was no implication at any point that they were necessarily stronger than humans?

But not all humans would have seen the Moon footage, so thousands, possibly millions, could have carried on quite safely. And aside from Texans, hardly anyone else would have had guns to kill them.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 30 2011, 8:25 PM BST

Laughing out loud I just do not think that she is attractive.

Laughing out loud

(She really is)

Quote: chipolata @ May 1 2011, 12:39 PM BST

With a bit more effort The Silence story could have been pretty decent, certainly the elements were all there. But Moffat seemed less interested in telling a story than laying the foundations for a 56 episode story arc.

100% agree. The bits that were self-contained story were great, especially the really creepy stuff at the orphanage. The bits that were series-thread based weren't so hot.

I think on reflection all of Moff's problems are trying to do these clever-clever story arcs. It makes it less engaging, not more. I want to watch because of good self-contained stories. If I get the idea that by missing an episode I won't have a clue what's happening, then that's not good for the series.

I won't miss an episode, mind.

Quote: chipolata @ May 2 2011, 11:17 PM BST

But not all humans would have seen the Moon footage, so thousands, possibly millions, could have carried on quite safely. And aside from Texans, hardly anyone else would have had guns to kill them.

The whole point of choosing the moon footage was because so many people watched it. In terms of % of the worlds population, I think it's still up there as one of the most watched live, and alot of people will watch it historically as well.

Fair point on the guns, but still, in groups, you'd be pretty safe.