Doctor Who... Page 695

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 8 2011, 11:45 PM BST

The way some of you old farts are over-analysing the latest ep is beginning to make fanboys like Stott look like the hippest guys in the room.

Ask him for a cartwheel then.

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 10:30 AM BST

"I know. Let's all give ourselves up to the Siren just in case all the people she's touched aren't actually dead but have been safely teleported somewhere. We've no reason to believe that, but it's the only way I can think of for getting us into the final act of the story".

Agreed!
That was particularly rubbish.
But I tend to expect one of those in every Doctor Who episode.
That bit that doesn't really make any sense however you try to justify it.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 8 2011, 11:48 PM BST

Agreed!
That was particularly rubbish.
But I tend to expect one of those in every Doctor Who episode.
That bit that doesn't really make any sense however you try to justify it.

But it could Steve, it really could. If people agreed to the rules of a particular admittedly nonsensical imagined world and stuck to them.

I wish.
New Who hasn't got a brilliant track record though

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 8 2011, 11:54 PM BST

I wish.
New Who hasn't got a brilliant track record though

True but enough about the new opening credits music Errr

:D

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 8 2011, 11:45 PM BST

The way some of you old farts are over-analysing the latest ep is beginning to make fanboys like Stott look like the hippest guys in the room.

You're right of course. Let's just say it was boring and misconceived and terribly written and leave it at that.

And the campness of the Doctor's character depressed me profoundly. Unfortunately, this is what killed the show first time round - too much camp, too many assistants, too much sonic screwdriver, too many stories set on Earth and too much reverence for the show's internal continuity, locking out the casual viewer.

To make all these mistakes all over again - and believe me they are mistakes - they're as misconceived as paroling Norman Stanley Fletcher or giving Delboy a Ferrari - is unforgivable given the wealth of material available to the modern production team.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 8 2011, 8:01 PM BST

Your kids will have to keep an eye out for the photos of my friends and I invading a park all dressed as DW characters for my birthday. :P

Something like this?

Is this the worst start to a season since its return? Yes, I think it is.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 9 2011, 2:38 AM BST

what killed the show first time round - too much camp, too many assistants, too much sonic screwdriver, too many stories set on Earth and too much reverence for the show's internal continuity, locking out the casual viewer.

I don't agree that all of those are automatically mistakes that will help kill the show.

Obviously if it is too camp and silly, that's a problem.

Sonic Screwdriver- Mainly a bug-bear for older fans it seems to me, younger fans like it. But yes, it can annoy that it's used sometimes like a magic wand.

Too many stories set on Earth-That's nothing new, surely Who has always had Earth set adventures. Most of the Pertwee era for example!

Too many assistants-There's currently only two, with an extra person popping up a couple of times a year. I don't agree that it's automatically a problem. It was in the original run, I'm thinking Davison era, as there was no point to the characters. Most were badly written and badly performed, such as Adric and Nyssa. That was the problem for me there, the writing, intention and performances. The only problem with too many regular characters now is that there isn't enough time to give lots of regulars stuff to do each episode, so having too many could be a mistake. But as I say, we only currently have two regular companions.

Yes but why do the two companion always have to be in a relationship with each other - that is not a good idea. I mean really not a good idea. It makes a soap opera out of a space opera. Example: The end of last Sat's ep!!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 9 2011, 9:27 AM BST

Is this the worst start to a season since its return? Yes, I think it is.

Well, if you didn't like the opening two parter, then maybe it is.

Quote: Marc P @ May 9 2011, 9:32 AM BST

Yes but why do the two companion always have to be in a relationship with each other - that is not a good idea. I mean really not a good idea. It makes a soap opera out of a space opera. Example: The end of last Sat's ep!!

Since when did regular characters in a drama being in a relationship make it a soap? Only in Who, it seems! :D

Quote: Marc P @ May 9 2011, 9:32 AM BST

It makes a soap opera out of a space opera.

I think that's part of the plan they had with New Who to boost the ratings; to introduce touchy feely stuff which traditionally had no place in Sci Fi. So, much as people like me might* not like it, I can understand why they do it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2011, 9:35 AM BST

Since when did regular characters in a drama being in a relationship make it a soap? Only in Who, it seems! :D

Give me an example of when it isn't?

Quote: Marc P @ May 9 2011, 9:41 AM BST

Give me an example of when it isn't?

Are you being serious? 'Cor blimey.