Doctor Who... Page 1,113

Quote: Chappers @ 9th October 2018, 6:20 PM

She's a Northerner!

And?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 9th October 2018, 9:27 PM

she just IS The Doctor.

In much the same way that Syd Little IS James Bond?

To have Doctor Who regenerate in the form of Jodie Whittaker is very much like having Daenerys Targaryen emerge from that blazing inferno as the mother of dragons in the form of Hylda Baker.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th October 2018, 9:42 PM

And?

It explains the lack of proper English.

Apparently, there's going to be a double-length episode where the Tardis materialises in the middle of the road and the doctor has to reverse it into a parking space.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th October 2018, 7:58 AM

Apparently, there's going to be a double-length episode where the Tardis materialises in the middle of the road and the doctor has to reverse it into a parking space.

:)

Dr Who
Stinks of Poo
Now he stinks
Of Menstral goo.

Quote: Will Cam @ 11th October 2018, 7:00 PM

Menstral goo.

The discussion about minstrels is in this thread, sir:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/1194549/

Laughing out loud

In the opening scenes of the first episode of the Jodie Whittaker series, we see a non-white police officer making a radio call that is answered by another non-white officer.

The chances of two police officers in South Yorkshire (chosen at random) being non-white are literally 1000 to 1.

It's almost as if there are non-random forces at work in the BBC casting department.

That's weird, because the rest of the show was really realistic.

When I first heard they were going to introduce a female Doctor Who, I immediately pictured someone like Helen Mirren in the role.

Jodie Whittaker was a shock: she'd be better suited by a role in a spin-off series as Nurse Who.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th October 2018, 10:45 PM

It's almost as if there are non-random forces at work in the BBC casting department.

I wish the BBC would start putting more Chinese people and Muslims in Doctor Who (and not just villains in yellow-face, like JonBenet Ramsay in The Talons of Weng-Chiang). The Doctor should be shown wearing a Muslim veil and praying in the TARDIS's mosque. Otherwise it's not light entertainment, it's just a continuation of white racism failing to show due cultural respect to Islam, the religion of peace. So sad that we are in 2018, approaching 2019 and beyond, and yet still there remains a dire lack of diversity in a show as popular as Doctor Who.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th October 2018, 12:09 AM

Jodie Whittaker was a shock: she'd be better suited by a role in a spin-off series as Nurse Who.

She's great. So far. It's only Chibs who can let her/the show down. I wonder if he will have the brains to make an episode where that stupid sonic screwdriver doesn't appear?

Quote: Kenneth @ 12th October 2018, 10:23 AM

She's great. So far.

If we look at Jodie Whittaker and the show in isolation, and we ignore the BBC's gross misrepresentation of ethnic diversity in South Yorkshire, I can see it being a big hit with people who are not well acquainted with the illustrious history of Doctor Who.

If the show and Jodie's character were to be renamed and the series marketed as a modern-day feminist spoof on Doctor Who, I could also see it being a big hit with people who are familiar with the illustrious history of Doctor Who.

The problem is that Jodie in real life and Jodie as Doctor Who are almost indistinguishable and that's a problem because Jodie in real life is about as far from being Doctor Who as it's possible to be.

Emilia Clarke is, in real life, similar to Jodie Whittaker in that both come across as perfectly normal everyday young women the like of which you might meet as you walked along any street in Britain. The difference between them is that when Emilia takes on her role as Daenerys Targaryen in "Game of Thrones", her personality is transformed out of all recognition. Gone is the ditzy girl next door and, in her place, we see a creature of considerable gravitas and no little majesty. In stark contrast, when Jodie takes on the role of Doctor Who, the ditzy girl next door simply stands where they tell her and says the words.

Gender is irrelevant. The problem could be Chibs being a little dull with the writing and ideas, and resorting to the sonic screwdriver as magic wand solution.

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th October 2018, 6:55 AM

Gender is irrelevant. The problem could be Chibs being a little dull with the writing and ideas, and resorting to the sonic screwdriver as magic wand solution.

Yes - that was a bit Harry Potter.

Also there were loads of Star Wars Episode IV rip offs. The desert, the Stormtroopers, et etc etc.