Doctor Who... Page 1,114

Bradley the retired bus driver seems to be coping well with the untimely and horribly violent death of his wife in episode one. Perhaps the story about them falling in love was a fabrication? Perhaps they were forced into marriage by the BBC? We'll probably never know.

Yesterday's episode of Doctor Who was rather disappointing; uninspired, I find I agree with almost all of SootyJ's review on facebook.

It was disappointing. The Sci-Fi Soap Opera Adventures of Sonic the Screwdriver. Chibs sets up a problem. Magic wand fixes problem. Chibs creates another problem. Magic wand etc. And that silly ending. "If it's not a dead-heat and dual victory, I will come looking for you." "Oh, OK, you both win then!" Hooray! Chibs needs a better script editor.

The strange thing is that I can't find a single mainstream review of either of the first two episodes that isn't fawning in its praise for the new Doctor, her new friends and enemies, and the writing and production of the episodes.

In episode two, we meet even more characters who, in any real universe, wouldn't be deemed fit to clean the inside of a spaceship - much less actually drive one.

Jodie's version of the Doctor reminds me very much of a female George Formby. I'm sure that at some time during the series, she'll come face-to-face with the most terrifying intergalactic monster in sci-fi history at which point she'll gulp, smile weakly at it and say "Turned out nice again".

I hear Ladbrokes are running a book on when, if ever, we'll see a white male character who appears to be from a white-collar background.

I stopped watching after about ten minutes: shuddering spaceship interiors, everyone shouting...but then we must remember it's a children's TV show, as Ian Hislop pointed out in HIGNFY.

It's bloody awful.
Even the kids have given up on it.
And she' hopeless.
Not because she's a she, but because she's badly cast.
Behind all the high-jinks, the Dr. has to have a gravitas that comes from being thousands of years old and seeing so much.
Tennant had it, Matt Smith had it.
Capaldi didn't and nor does she.
"I'm reet clever, me" doesn't really cut it.

I prefer her to Capaldi. She could lure you into a sense of false security, play the waif, take Dr Who in a completely different direction. She could give birth to a Dalek ! I hope this revitalises Dr Who.

She's captured that quick talking, fast thinking cheeky persona, many other Drs had. Maybe she could date a past Dr Who. Baker or Tennant ?

Quote: Firkin @ 16th October 2018, 5:25 PM

I prefer her to Capaldi. She could lure you into a sense of false security, play the waif, take Dr Who in a completely different direction. She could give birth to a Dalek ! I hope this revitalises Dr Who.

She's captured that quick talking, fast thinking cheeky persona, many other Drs had. Maybe she could date a past Dr Who. Baker or Tennant ?

That'd be taking incest to a whole new level!

Quote: Firkin @ 16th October 2018, 5:25 PM

Maybe she could date a past Dr Who

In which case, he'd be doing to Jodie what she's doing to 55 years of the Doctor's reputation.

Quote: beaky @ 16th October 2018, 7:47 PM

That'd be taking incest to a whole new level!

Or is it self love ? Bringing masturbation to a whole new level ? CBBC would lap that up. We just need to find a guest comedy writer who understands the ageing rebellious type, like the Dr...

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th October 2018, 11:55 AM

the Dr. has to have a gravitas that comes from being thousands of years old and seeing so much.
Tennant had it, Matt Smith had it.

Matt Smith had all the gravitas of a helium balloon in zero gravity (as that's how Moffatt instructed him). Frowning, shouting and looking moody to a shitty over-the-top soundtrack isn't gravitas.
New doc is fine. Chibs just needs to tighten the writing, lose the stupid screwdriver and ditch the "I'm reet clever, me" stuff you mentioned. Not the accent, just the "I'm good at stuff" lines.

As the Doctor she has been mediocre so far
But I mean that in it's original meaning rather than in a derogatory way, it's been fine but nothing special

I just hope as they aren't bringing back any old adversaries, that they come up with at least one decent one before the series is out

I don't watch it as I am fitted with a nerdometer that tazers me when I watch too much nerd TV and it's touching the red now after 3 eps of The Model Railway Challenge but I'm intrigued to know what's happened to the tardis. What's this new dimension they've added? And who said they can't bring back old adversaries? My choice would be a sea devil or two, get the prog out of London and back in the open non urban obsessed setting and bring back the Brigadier. Give this new writer a set of John Wyndham novels and tell him to write stories rather than pieces. Or just repeat the Pertwee and Baker series. That Moffat crap I suffered to glimpse little clips of was excruciating. >_<

Quote: Kenneth @ 15th October 2018, 2:31 PM

It was disappointing. The Sci-Fi Soap Opera Adventures of Sonic the Screwdriver..

Ha ha. I thought you were going to say hedgehog.

She's doing a fine job so far as reflected in the fact that she's generally been well received so far with everyone outside the usual minority who can't cope with women being on anything.
Female George Formby? Not even the right accent.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th October 2018, 2:31 PM

Jodie's version of the Doctor reminds me very much of a female George Formby.

Now I go chasing monsters to earn an honest bob.
In a left-wing liberal universe, I'm ideal for the job.

Now it's a job that just suits me.
I represent diversity
and that just suits the BBC
so I'm chasing monsters.

I'm just a simple Yorkshire lass,
A million miles from middle class.
If you don't like it, kiss my ass.
I'm off chasing monsters.

As the Doctor, I'll go far
and I'll never stop.
with Bradley Walsh, a young black lad
and a female Asian cop.