Anti Gay Jokes

Apparently the new The Criminal Justice Bill contains provisions to make jokes against Gay people illegal. But never fear Rowan Atkinson is on the case :S

bummer. Whistling nnocently

Well, that sucks etc. etc.

It would be terrible for comedy; everybody would start making dull and cliched gay jokes to sound subversive.

How gay!

What does it mean though? Any joke to do with homosexuality? Or does it just mean Jim Davidson style jokes?

I have no idea.

Can't we just ban bigots from living? Then we'd know that any left over gay jokes were about homophobes, not gay people.

Quote: johnny roulette @ November 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

bummer. Whistling nnocently

Laughing out loud

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 8, 2007, 1:13 PM

What does it mean though? Any joke to do with homosexuality? Or does it just mean Jim Davidson style jokes?

It's something along the lines of "inciting homophobic hatred". Much like the "inciting racial hatred" malarkey.

Of course, it's all worded loosely enough so they can screw you over (no pun intended) at any point that they so choose.

Quote: zooo @ November 8, 2007, 1:15 PM

Can't we just ban bigots from living?

But then we'd be no better than the bigots. And who's to define what constitutes bigotry in the first place?

There must a line of gay policemen queuing outside Jim Davidson's house waiting for this bill to come into pass and say he was 'resisting arrest'.

I don't actually know any anti-gay jokes. Is that like most of the stuff on little britain? Because anything to force them to come up with new characters has to be good.

The gay community must be rimming with delight!

Quote: Simon Stratton @ November 8, 2007, 1:49 PM

There must a line of gay policemen queuing outside Jim Davidson's house waiting for this bill to come into pass and say he was 'resisting arrest'.

Forgive me, I'm not actually aware of, well, any of his material. But does he actually incite hatred? I mean, making jokes is one thing, but saying "let's go out and kill the queers!" is another. We're in severe danger of blurring the line irrevocably.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 8, 2007, 1:51 PM

The gay community must be rimming with delight!

Laughing out loud

That made my eyes water!

"I was a homosexual, but I had to give it up because it made my eyes water."

Oooh, I could crush a grape.

Quote: Aaron @ November 8, 2007, 2:03 PM

Forgive me, I'm not actually aware of, well, any of his material. But does he actually incite hatred? I mean, making jokes is one thing, but saying "let's go out and kill the queers!" is another. We're in severe danger of blurring the line irrevocably.

Do a search on youtube for all the homophobic things he said before he was kicked out of hell's kitchen. It's not the 'kill the queers' attitude - it's more the straight people are superior genetically and morally to gay people attitude, which is pretty bad.

Ah yes, I saw an excerpt of that. Will try and remember to search when I'm at home.