The Coronation Page 2

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th May 2023, 10:30 AM

Exactly.

No, I'm with you on being against replacing the Monarchy with a presidential system.
Absolute disaster.
We just need to cut it down to size a bit - release a lot of the land, for one thing.

(oils the guillotine)

The money is mentioned a lot. Especially when combined with 'and there are poor people....
Perhaps they should have bought a cloak from oxfam, a crown from the 'laughing man' on Blackpool pleasure beach and had mucky fat sandwiches for tea.
King Charles is trying - he went to the do on an 'Os and cart.

I don't understand all this animosity and bile against King Charles.

He could easily have stayed in his ivory tower and said "Sod the lot of you, peasants", but no, and like his father go out into the world and create things for a better place with say the Duke of Edinburgh awards and the Prince's Trust. Thousands of young people have been given a chance to make something of their lives.

And Charles was talking about and commenting on how we are destroying the planet years ago, and now it's become accepted that we need to do something before it is too late.

President, Head of State, Premier, Republic, or whatever you want to call it/them? When I see the likes of that little turd Putin, the senile Biden, the megalomaniac Kim Jong Un, the nutcase that is Trump, I think "No bloody way!!"

LONG LIVE KING CHARLES!!

I'm not sure there is much bile aimed at him. He's not as liked as his mom, but there are hundreds of other public figures that get way more animosity and hate directed at them.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2023, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure there is much bile aimed at him. He's not as liked as his mom, but there are hundreds of other public figures that get way more animosity and hate directed at them.

Exactly.
A few shouty people on both sides of the argument.
Most people couldn't give a toss either way.

I actually prefer Charles to his mum

She was a miserable sod - I think she smiled about 4 times in the last 50 years

He at least seems a bit more human

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2023, 11:47 AM

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 12:09 PM

Exactly.
A few shouty people on both sides of the argument.

NOT from what I saw when they were interviewing the plebs touting "Not My King" and/or Republic posters. They were bitter in their condemnation

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th May 2023, 12:14 PM

I actually prefer Charles to his mum

She was a miserable sod - I think she smiled about 4 times in the last 50 years

He at least seems a bit more human

Bloody hell Lofty, we'll make a Royalist out of you yet 😁

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 12:09 PM

And, I think you are very wrong in that assumption, when you look at the amount of people in London and around the country celebrating the Coronation.

At least you could see the proof, not like your "Most people", which is backed up by zilch.

He always writes 'most when he means him and a few of his cronies.
20 million watched on tv yesterday.

I don't hate Charles as a person, I just loathe everything he and his family represents. The idea of a monarchy, a family who is better than you because of their bloodline, is absolutely absurd, ridiculous, archaic and should be abolished, that's all.

Absolutely! Sitcomfan nails it.

He didn't even nudge it with a wet teacloth

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th May 2023, 12:50 PM

He always writes 'most when he means him and a few of his cronies.
20 million watched on tv yesterday.

So what.
46 million didn't.
27 million watched in 1953 - and there were only about nine televisions then (some pretty crowded front rooms I imagine).
A poll (I know how you love polls) said 20% would be watching with 20% not sure, and 60% saying they wouldn't bother - which turned out to be pretty much on the money
And who are these 'cronies' of which you speak?
You sound like a child sometimes. SG.
I made it abundantly clear that I wasn't fussed either way.
Not a Royalist; not an Anti-Royalist.
I maintain that to be the majority position in the UK.
TV viewership proves that to be pretty accurate.
Shouting "Unpatriotic!" to anyone who is ambivalent about the monarchy is about as stupid as shouting "Not my King!" to a load of horses..

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 10:41 AM

We just need to cut it down to size a bit - release a lot of the land, for one thing.

And what will that achieve? It's not common land, it's Crown Estate, you'd need a statute passed to recommonise it and then the whole set of laws regarding green belt land would need to change to enable any kind of housing for people.There is actually a fair bit of housing on it already, especially in towns with a royal connection like Windsor, and they offer reasonable rents to its (I'm guessing at least tens of thousands) of tenants (I've met a few, and they're always happy with it).

If they were to sell all that, which they are currently not allowed to, then all they would be doing is handing it over to greedy private landlords to hike the rents up, then and everyone except a few hundred fat cats will be worse off. And none of this will happen until severe over population of legally habitable land forces us to become a republic, whatever will be left of Britain by then.

It should be (voluntarily) be handed over to the state.
The state should make money from it.